Elements vs. Pixelmator 2.0?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15" 2.2 i7 - OS 10.7.2
Any graphics/design folk care to give advice to a non-pro designer cellist who likes to do small projects, birthday cards, etc. on the $100 Elements vs the $30 Pixelmator 2.0 - just saw in the App Store?

Does the extra $70 buy enough horsepower/abilities, etc to justify the price? Does Element do everything Pix does and then a good deal more? Are both user-friendly (don't have to go through a 25-part course to operate...)?

Thanks much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Pixelmator is an image editor which is why a lot of folks here recommend it instead of the much more expensive Photoshop. Are you looking for a graphics design program or maybe even something to do layout work?

And BTW, the Adobe Photoshop Elements program is $79.99 from the App store not $100.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15" 2.2 i7 - OS 10.7.2
Thanks!

OK - I guess I'm not really sure how to express what I'm looking for - I do a lot of Birthday card work with lots of images, etc for the extended family and everyone really looks forward to them. Currently I use Comic Life Magiq to put stuff together, but I saw that in the blurb on Elements in the App Store, I could do much more with text and some layers, etc, although I'm a neophyte in advanced stuff.
I guess I just want more creative options - image and text - people want to be able to see switched heads on family pictures, etc. I just want to make sure that if I take the extra hit ($80 is better than $100 - thanks), that Elements will do everything that Pix will do, plus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can downlaod a 30 day trial for Pixelmator, so I would give that a try first.

http://www.pixelmator.com/try/

If you find that does all you need then great. I have downloaded the trial of the new version, despite being a PhotoShop (full version) veteran, sometimes I want a smaller sleaker and faster image editor, so I thought I would give Picxelmator a go.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
louishen probably gave you the best advice. See if they have free trials and use them both. As a designer I wouldn't use either of them for card design. Especially if you are dealing with typography or hand lettering.

Since there are so many elements to a card there really isn't one program that I would use to create a card. Pixelmator and photoshop elements are for dealing with pixel creation/manipulation.

I would be using Adobe Illustrator if you are really into manipulating text and stuff.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Adobe Illustrator may be a bit overkill for what he needs, but it will certainly do the job plus much more. :) I also recommend looking at iStudio Publisher currently selling for $19.99 at the App store. I use it to do layout work for bulletins, flyers, etc. It can also do greeting cards, graphics, text layout, and overlay plus lots more. Really a very powerful program for the price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.