Noob question about iPhoto

Reaction score
I havent owned my macbook for very long and Im trying to get all my pictures from my Nikon D60 onto iPhoto. This may be very simple, idk.

When I try to import my pictures from my camera, i connect my camera, hit the icon that says D60, but when i press Import All an error message comes up that says "iPhoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem writing to the volume containing your iPhoto library"

i'm assuming that that means that im trying to import too many pictures at once...

What are my options?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
That shouldn't happen.. even with selecting all. Do you know where your iPhoto library is?

If not, I'll have to go find out.. since I don't use it. Or.. someone who does can wander in and help.

C

chas_m

I havent owned my macbook for very long and Im trying to get all my pictures from my Nikon D60 onto iPhoto. This may be very simple, idk.

Yes, it is very simple generally.

When I try to import my pictures from my camera, i connect my camera, hit the icon that says D60,

Whoa, hold it, please be more clear here. WHAT icon called D60? Where is this icon? Are you in iPhoto when this happens? Or are you in the Finder? Or some other program?

Remember, we're not there. We can't see it. Spell it out for us. Thanks.

but when i press Import All an error message comes up that says "iPhoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem writing to the volume containing your iPhoto library"

i'm assuming that that means that im trying to import too many pictures at once...

No, that's not what it means. Not sure why you think that. It means exactly what it says. There's a problem.

What version of OS X are you running? What version of iPhoto? Where is your iPhoto Library loaded? Can you see your other pictures (I assume you have some in iPhoto already) okay? Does it show the ones that are on your camera as you expect?

If you're not trying to import pictures, does iPhoto open and run as you would expect? Have you run ANY programs that offer to clean up files or remove extraneous languages? Is iPhoto the only program that gives you a problem?

What happens if you try using Image Capture (also on your Mac, in the Applications folder) instead of iPhoto? Can you save your photos to a folder using Image Capture without problems?

OP
D
Reaction score
i'm using iPhoto 09. I dont know where my Library is being loaded. I can see other pictures that i have on there already. The D60 is my camera...which I stated in the original post. I'm at the main opening screen of iPhoto. When I open iPhoto and plug my camera up the "D60" icon pops up on the left side of the screen showing that there's a camera that's connected.

The pictures don't load on the screen after I've connected my camera when it gets to the option when I can upload them. There's 1,931 pictures on this particular memory card.

I'll definitely try to use Image Capture. Thanks for that suggestion.

I'm very unfamilar with Macs so I'm sorry if all this seems ignorant...but to be completely honest I am ignorant concerning this topic so I appreciate any help

OP
D
Reaction score
Image Capture didn't work either. Should I just try to find a card reader and upload them that way?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The same thing just keeps happening. It tells me "error writing to disc"

D60 was CF card if I remember correctly. If you have(or can borrow) a CF card reader, try that.
Also, are you using the original USB cable. I have found that even if they have he same plugs on the ends they may not work.

OP
D
Reaction score
Card reader didnt work either. Is there a possibility that there's internal damage to the card itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Can you open the file ( card contents ) from the desktop...? Try that and then drag a few photos to the desktop...import to iPhoto...It could be your card.

OP
D
Reaction score
I think it's the card. It's pretty old. I've had it since I first got the camera back in the spring of 2009. The images will read fine when I take it to a kiosk or something at a Wal-Mart or wherever though.

I got another card and the pictures uploaded just fine with that one...that's my reasoning of maybe it's the card. I appreciate the help and suggestions a lot though!

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my Nikon D200 that I bought 2nd hand this year - but I'd been using I-Photo for years so realised that wasn't where the problem lay. You're correct, it's the card. Save yourself heartache, hassle and lost pictures, buy a new one.

With mine, I would plug in the USB and I-Photo would just sit there - and the 'PC' on the camera (telling me the camera is connected to a computer) didn't come up either. I thought it was the camera - only knew it wasn't when I borrowed another card in the same camera and that uploaded perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.