How to Close a Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 6,1 OS X 10.7 / iPad 2 / iPhone 3GS
I've been on here for a few a few months now and still learning the ropes so I hope I'm posting this in the right spot...
I saw a "similar" thread but it was more about people reviving a closed thread. What I am wondering is are we supposed to close our own threads that we start? For example I started one back on 7/21, it's resolved but I still can't figure out how to close it. Unsubscribing from it does nothing but stop the email from a new response..it's not like 100 people responded but I was just curious.
I did also want to add to the people that helped, to their reputation but wasn't able to because I, myself, don't have rep built up. That sucks b/c they were very helpful.

btw..it took me 4mos (just about) to find this forum!! kept searching for a FAQ section :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The only time a thread is closed is when the topic becomes problematic and the staff determines that further discussion is not productive. Members can't close threads.

Even if you don't have rep or enough time as a member, you can still leave rep. My guess would be that you're trying to leave rep for the same member multiple times. There are checks and balances built into the system to prevent abuse. So, you may need to leave rep for a few others before you can go back and leave rep to that same member (i.e. "spread it around").

OP
salanco16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your response :)
hmmm, I was doing the same as in Apples' forum: for every answer you give a helpful/correct "mark"...gotcha :) Considering a couple people gave multiple answers, that would make sense, my bad.
No problem "spreading" it around.
Thx for the clarification..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think in Apple's case, their system is a bit different because they are more of a dedicated technical support forum. People come there mostly to ask questions about technical problems. We are more of a general Apple discussion forum (although our members are happy to address technical problems). So adding rep is not compulsory and an answered question does not necessarily mean that discussion of a topic ends.

The rep system is less about rewarding a member for finding the correct answer, and more about how that member contributes to the forum (either in a positive or negative way). I'd highly recommend reading the Rep System FAQ, available here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/68770-reputation-system-faq.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
When you find a resolution to a posted problem, even if you find the solution elsewhere, it's always good practice to post the resolution at the end of your thread. There's always someone else out there somewhere with the same problem and your solution may save them a similar headache.

OP
salanco16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, I read that a while back. I understand what you are saying and I did not "reward" on Apple's site for a "correct" answer.
What I appreciate on both sites is that fact that people are willing to try to help and give their opinion/advice taking time out to help another.
A correct answer/that fixes the issue is icing on the cake and to be honest, haven't gotten one yet :) but that's the point I'm grateful for help I do get. That's why on here, I did give rep "points" because they tried to work with me and that was very cool.

I'm sorry just saw JayGrays post... I worded incorrectly...
my "resolution".. well for the thread I started (don't know if you read it..) was to wipe my HD and start over. Not really a good one at all, unfortunately even with all the great advice, nothing worked so I was unsure if posting that was a good way to go...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, it's always nice to see a response that an issue was resolved (or just dealt with, as in the case with a clean install) even if it wasn't via one of the methods suggested.

OP
salanco16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bobtomay,
after reading jaygrays answer I figured that was the way to go :) so I quickly wrote a response/better late than never I guess..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And... thanks for your interest and feedback. Enjoy the forums. :)

OP
salanco16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks! appreciate it!
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD
How do I unsubscribe from a thread. I've searched the web site, but must be missing the instructions for unsubscribing.

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I unsubscribe from a thread. I've searched the web site, but must be missing the instructions for unsubscribing.

Thanks.

Open the thread, click the Thread Tools button, then click "Unsubscribe from this thread".

00000269.png

OP
salanco16
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open the thread, click the Thread Tools button, then click "Unsubscribe from this thread".

00000269.png

cool! had no clue you were able to do that, thanks for the tip!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.