Creating Keyboard Shortcuts

Reaction score
Hi all.

I prefer to use the keyboard wherever possible and I'd like to know if it's possible to open applications using keyboard shortcuts?

There's plenty of info about workflow type shortcuts or how to change Cmd+Q to Option+Cmd+Q to quit an application but I'd like to be able to set something up to start Safari from the keyboard using, for example Option+cmd+S

Is this possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Try Quicksilver.
Blacktree
It is not quite a hotkey launch - but you hit ctrl-space and just start typing. It's more powerful than just a command launcher but I found it is the quickest way to launch apps without a mouse.

You can also use cmd-space to bring up spotlight and just start typing the name.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give Quicksilver a go although it pains me to have to use a third party program to do something that I consider should be part of the OS. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Application launching has always been a 3rd party type thing - even on windows - at least anything useful. cmd-space to bring up spotlight is built into the OS - it just isn't as fast as Quicksilver.

Check out this link
Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done
Although most people start using quicksilver as an application launcher - it is much more powerful than that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.