apple with pentium, should we wait?

M

mckots

Just curious this is probably a dumb question but, do u think it would be a bonehead move to invest in an G5 right now considering the changes that are coming up with processors?

Will buying a new G5 result in having incompatibility with new software in 2 years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im going to be buying another computer probably at the end of the year. I think the PPC has a long time left in them and I am not going to buy an Intel based Mac probably until it's been out a couple of years and everything is worked out with them. In the meantime programmers will continue to create programs that run on both, so you're good to go :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mckots said:
Will buying a new G5 result in having incompatibility with new software in 2 years?

Any computer you buy today (Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.) will have the possiblitly of running into software incompatibilites within 2 years.

However, like Murlyn said, there is quite a bit of life left in the PPC and that should not be an issue for you.

Reaction score
I don't think you'll have a problem with compatibility. From what I hear the PowerMac will probably be the last line to make the intel switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i wouldnt worry about it because im sure that apple will support the powermac for a good while into the intel transition and when they eventually drop the support linux will follow it up and you will prob be ready for a new mac by then anyway

OP
B

badmojo

I'd rather have a PPC today that's been tried and true, than a 1st gen Intel unit. Imo, Apple tends to release products a bit too early before they have been really tested.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Like Murlyn, I will be buying a Powermac this year. I am looking at the September time frame, once my wife starts school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel
I just bought an iMac. It's now sitting at home just waiting on me to get there and open it up! I thought about waiting for the Intel Macs too.

First, I didn't want to wait a year or two. I would have probably waited until I knew the major bugs were worked out.

Second, since there are so many PPC Macs out there now, it'll be quite awhile before developers stop programing for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
You know, after hearing that Apple was switching to Intel I went and stared at my PC and Mac. My PC has been with me 7 years, from Pentium II to 4 and from 95 to XP. And God knows how many crashes...but suddenly my PC and Mac don't look different anymore. Is Intel really that lousy? Or did Microsoft programmers forget to compile their code?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
nicklwj said:
You know, after hearing that Apple was switching to Intel I went and stared at my PC and Mac. My PC has been with me 7 years, from Pentium II to 4 and from 95 to XP. And God knows how many crashes...but suddenly my PC and Mac don't look different anymore. Is Intel really that lousy? Or did Microsoft programmers forget to compile their code?

It's not the CPU that makes the lousy computer, it's their poorly written OS that has more holes than swiss cheese. Intel's not bad, I really like their Pentium CPU's. Celeron is where they made a bad choice for consumer.

Forgot to compile their code ... LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
I have this bad feeling that Apple hardware will eventually dissapear if it becomes too compatable with Pentiums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
validpretense said:
I have this bad feeling that Apple hardware will eventually dissapear if it becomes too compatable with Pentiums.
Well, to be realistic here, there isn't really any "Apple" hardware.
Macs use much of the same hardware that x86 PC's use already and they have for quite some time now. As it was said already, its not the hardware that makes the Mac a Mac, its the OS.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I will take it one step farer. Apple is a hardware company as we all know. What is most special is that they also create software that works very will with their hardware. What makes Apple products is the tight intergration of the hardware and the software. To make what some call a complete solution.

OP
M

msett

So when do we think will start seeing first mac mini or imac intels? I just cant see waiting until next summer but cant see paying 1200 now for a brand new processor to come out a couple months later.

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
i read an article that it might not be out until 2008 (eek) .. i'll post it when i find it again . i hope it's not true.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.