• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Winter Blizzard of '11

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Looks like this blizzard is going to be one to remember. What are you doing to prepare for the blizzard? Are you going to be inconvenienced for the next few days? Do you have any plans to keep you entertained during the blizzard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Crazy here in Kansas City. Plenty of snow on the ground and a ton more to come. Cars are all sleeping in the garage and I have no place to be. Movies, food and liquor are all on the menu at one time or another. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm doing nothing. S&P is a hobby of mine. We're good for 6 months off the grid, civil unrest, whatever.

Here's a good link to get started "Prepping"...

Emergency Food and Water Supplies

Reaction score
Arctic chill here in Portales, NM. Hit a low of 4 last night, wind chills were much colder than that. We're expecting more snow tonight through Wednesday morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, temperatures in the Sonoran desert have dropped into the 60's this week so I'll have to start wearing long sleeves or a sweatshirt when I go out. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Send it down under - +105 today here.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Freezing rain here and a bit of snow. Sounds like it's going to be a nuisance, but not enough of an event to close work :(

Reaction score
ENMU (where I go to college) closed at 5 this afternoon after opening at 10. Tomorrow looks like a closure. It's snowing, windy and 9*F. BRRR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Schools are closed tomorrow. First time I can remember knowing that the night before. With a teacher in the house, I'd remember. Not bad yet. Will be buried in snow tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
*insert slightly amused expression over all the fuss about a measly 2 feet of snow*

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like this blizzard is going to be one to remember. What are you doing to prepare for the blizzard? Are you going to be inconvenienced for the next few days? Do you have any plans to keep you entertained during the blizzard?

Around here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area any ice or snow is a big deal. The roads become a haven for playing "Destruction Derby" (for those of you old enough to remember that show on TV). Great business for tow truck owners though.... :)

Me, I'm staying right here next to my trusty Mac until the stuff melts off. Since we run our own business and my wife's the boss, she gave me permission to take time off. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I saw a satellite image that showed the entire US covered in clouds, with one exception, a clear spot over Southern California. Man do I love living here, bright and sunny, zero clouds, and a mild 70 degrees :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
*insert slightly amused expression over all the fuss about a measly 2 feet of snow*

No kidding. We started with a foot of snow on November 13th and have only gotten more since then. We're at about 2 feet right now and people are out riding bikes and walking dogs. It's 10 right now (warm actually) with -20 wind chill and there are at least 30 trucks out back fishing on the lake. Typical winter in the Northern US. Nothing is closed, cancelled or otherwise restrained.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Parts of the province are expected to get 40cm of snow by mid-afternoon tomorrow. I seem to be too far out for the storm living in an area expected to get only about 15cm of snow. So, no need to prepare here. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
While I do miss living back east at the same time I'm glad I'm not there right now. >_<" I don't want to imagine the driving conditions, as they are pretty bad here already. I like the cold actually. Wouldn't mind if it was 10ºF here, I'm sure the local wildlife would die though. >_<"

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
So I looked out the front door and thought how cool it would be to take a stroll around the neighborhood in the blizzard. Then the snow truck came speeding down the street and sent a tsunami wave of snow reaching all the way to our front porch. So maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
So I looked out the front door and thought how cool it would be to take a stroll around the neighborhood in the blizzard. Then the snow truck came speeding down the street and sent a tsunami wave of snow reaching all the way to our front porch. So maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea.

LOL, I did that on a rainy day once and got soaked. Not the same as getting hit by a tsunami of snow but still it was pretty shocking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
yeah dude.. They started saying 10cm.. Then 15.. Then "don't be surprised" if we hit 30.. Checking out the radar maps on weather.ca, and going by the pattern of the giant precipitation cloud, it'll be hitting my area shortly..

I'm just really hoping I can get to work tomorrow.. I cannot afford to miss the time.. With the way the news have been talking about it, it's going to be bad. Some schools and businesses here have already "pre-cancelled" everything.

Maybe if I'm lucky, the our client will follow suit and close all the stores in the city down, as well as the contact center.. One can only hope, heh..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Got about 3 inches of freezing rain/snow this evening in Maine, due to get anywhere from 1.5 - 2 feet tomorrow. (On top of the 2.5 feet that we already have on the ground) School was actually canceled the night before instead of 5:00 AM tomorrow morning, never seen that happen before. Either way, not looking forward to shoveling tomorrow. :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.