Where are all the Sticky's gone ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have i missed a announcement somewhere ???

Has someone had a spring clean ??

I tried to link a desperate member the other day, and low and behold it was gone .....

Whats going on Mods please ....
Frustrated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Have i missed a announcement somewhere ???

Has someone had a spring clean ??

I tried to link a desperate member the other day, and low and behold it was gone .....

Whats going on Mods please ....
Frustrated

We removed stickies recently that were extremely old or were in bad need of updating.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
ok as simple as that ......

Thanks for the info though, but on that i am forever linking people to Stickies and get many thanks from those that read them ......

I suppose no more and members will have to find another way to there problem :(
IMO not such a great move ......
Isnt that the idea of a Stickie ?? to stay stuck ??

What do others think ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok as simple as that ......

Thanks for the info though, but on that i am forever linking people to Stickies and get many thanks from those that read them ......

I suppose no more and members will have to find another way to there problem :(
IMO not such a great move ......
Isnt that the idea of a Stickie ?? to stay stuck ??

What do others think ???

Stickies are not meant to stay stuck forever. A 5-year old stickie or one with 20 pages of outdated information aren't really useful for anyone.

If you feel that there is an all important sticky that is missing, there's nothing stopping you from writing up an authoritative post on the subject and you can then PM me about making it a new sticky.

You also know that the sticky threads aren't gone, you can search for them and save the URLs if you think you really need to use the old threads.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok no problem....... Point taken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hey TattooedMac ..... great idea .... we might be opening a can of worms here -_-

I can think of the following:
1) Stickies need to be more visible to people who join, not only at the top in each forum.
Keep the stickies in their respective forums and create a ' read this first " forum ( so to speak ) with links to the actual stickies
2) Define and implement an annual review process to validate the accuracy and completeness of the content in todays environment.
Stickies on fast moving topics ( malware etc..... ) need to be considered fair game for regular review.
3) Maybe close a sticky once it is posted
This will ensure people start a proper thread on the issue they are facing. Feedback on the sticky ( to improve it ) can then be given by private message.
4) What about a sticky with ' a forum glossary ' ....
So that every visitor knows upfront that a virus is not a trojan -_- and that risk means something different than threats

My 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey TattooedMac ..... great idea .... we might be opening a can of worms here -_-

I can think of the following:
1) Stickies need to be more visible to people who join, not only at the top in each forum.
Keep the stickies in their respective forums and create a ' read this first " forum ( so to speak ) with links to the actual stickies
From experience I can say this won't really be effective. We already link several important threads in a welcome e-mail and PM that are never read and honestly, even most new users don't bother to read the existing stickies in the thread their posting in. :)

2) Define and implement an annual review process to validate the accuracy and completeness of the content in todays environment.
Stickies on fast moving topics ( malware etc..... ) need to be considered fair game for regular review.
Already working on that, hence why we unstickied a bunch of threads.

3) Maybe close a sticky once it is posted
This will ensure people start a proper thread on the issue they are facing. Feedback on the sticky ( to improve it ) can then be given by private message.
It really depends on the sticky content on whether or not it would be closed.

4) What about a sticky with ' a forum glossary ' ....
So that every visitor knows upfront that a virus is not a trojan -_- and that risk means something different than threats

I don't think a general glossary would be worth creating...Wikipedia and Google already exist ;). Now if there were enough "Mac-Forums only" type language, then it might make sense.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Cheers ... McBie

Yea mate .... we can only try. But i do like your way of thinking. I liked the Forum Glossary idea muchly :)

I for one thought a lot of the Stickies made good reading and am surprised at how often people actually post in them ..... Im all about moving with the times, but considering people still own OLD Macs i thought even the 5yr old ones still pertain to some people ....

Then what do i know lol

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well like I said, if you feel that something should be a sticky, feel free to either PM me first to pass the idea by me or write something up and PM me about making it a sticky.

Now I will be honest, moving forward, unless something is a very high subject topic, it most likely won't be stickied as we're trying to limit the total number of overall stickies so it's not as overwhelming.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.