• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Unable to drag iMovie events into Project

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, Snow Leopard, 1TB HD, 8GB, 3.06 GHz
I am very new to Mac, and am trying iMovie for the first time. I have a Sony DCR-TRV18 miniDV camcorder, and have successfully imported a little over two hours of miniDV tapes into iMovie, and they show up as events. However, when I try to drag any event into the project area (after creating a new project), it is not retained. My particular events were organized by year, with individual day events contained within the "year" event. i have tried moving single days, or the year, and nothing is successful--in fact, I cannot even drag the event at all when the "year" is selected. I should also point out that I do not need or want to edit individual clips--I just want to get all the events in chronological order into projects, and then to copy onto DVDs. I have consulted iMovie help to no avail--can anyone help me? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
To debug something like this I'd start Console.app in the Utilities folder, then start iMovie and try these things that are not working. Then I'd look at the log in Console app to see if any errors or warnings were reported for those actions.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, Snow Leopard, 1TB HD, 8GB, 3.06 GHz
Well, I feel like an idiot! I accidentally discovered (after quite a few frustrating efforts) that the clips themselves are to be selected. I was trying to select the files listed in the event library menu. After playing with them a little bit, I learned how to move the clips easily, and successfully created two DVDs!

And I should have known better than to leave out the software version, but just didn't think of it. I appreciate the reminder for future reference.

Thanks for the quick response--sorry I sounded the alarm prematurely!

Reaction score
Select which clips where? I'm on iMovie11 and I have used iMovie a long time, but not recently, but this problem suddenly seems to happen for me. I create an event and import videos, then have to select videos and drag into a project I create, right?

That just scrolls down the event videos and drags nothing into the project. The preview plays the videos in the events, the projects area has apparently become redundant. Either I'm missing something or the app has gone wrong in some way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Whoa...whoa...Once you create an event...you must open the event ( or actually add clips to the event ). When you open the event and reveal individual clips within the event only those can be selected in part or as a whole to be added to a project. Entire events cannot be moved into a project.

Idiot alert...I was actually responding to posts 1, 2, 3...which are 4 months old....sorry for the confusion. As to post #4...seems logical...try again...I am at a loss to help with your problem if it persists.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.