• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help Building a new Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum. For the past few years I have been getting into video production and graphic design. I am planning to start a digital animation program in the fall. I need a much more powerful system than my macbook pro that I have been working on and I would like to buy a mac pro.
My issue is that I'm not very familiar with system requirements and I don't even know where to start to figure out what I need to ensure that I end up with a system that can run all the software I use and not stall or slow down. Can anyone help? Here is a list of the main software I have now or plan to buy soon:

Adobe Masters Collection CS4
Maya
Nuke (may be buying)

Thanks so much:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any Mac Pro will do with your needs. Just buy whatever you can afford.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Note that CS5 has just been released.

If you don't need the Mac right now, then perhaps a small wait will gain you a more up to date system. It has been a long while since the current Mac Pros were released and the hopes/rumors are a new version is close to a release.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.