New and Would like some Help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No mac Just yet!
Hello I am new to this forum and sort of to the mac world. I have been using PC's mostly for 15 years, i've used macs in the past. But I have decided to start switching over to mac because i do not like where Windows and PC's are going.

So as for switching my biggest question is about PowerPC's, Can you still use them for maybe some games like Jewel Quest, Sims and others. I do know about the universal thing and snow leopard not supporting Power PC computers and that For leopard you need at least a 1GHZ G4 with a decent graphics card.

Because of my budget and not being able to fully switch to a new mac just yet i am thinking about purchasing a G5 Imac 20" Screen with an Isight on eBay for a pretty good price. With the G5 will i be able to accomplish daily tasks such as email, youtube, and moderate video editing etc...

Thank you so much for help, hopefully someone will reply back to this within a day or two before the G5 ends!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
The problem you're going top run into with the PowerPC is that fewer and fewer applications will be written for it.
I have a used iMac off eBay as well. Originally I wanted a 20" but went with a 17" C2D from 2006. I upgraded the hard drive and eventually I'll upgrade the RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
I've got an iBook G4 with a PPC chip, and I'm noticing more and more that newer versions of applications I like to use don't work on my iBook because they're Intel only (or if they do work on PPC Macs, they don't work with Tiger).

As for gaming, I'm not much of a gamer (except for the occasional online game of Alchemy), so I can't really comment on this. However, I do email and use You tube very frequently, and those have been fine for the most part (although I do notice that there's sometimes a lag with videos that are near the 10 minute mark, but that may just be a flash issue/ me being impatient).

I would suggest getting an early Intel iMac instead if you can find one, or at the very least, a late revision PPC iMac with Leopard.

I hope this helps. :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No mac Just yet!
Thank you, I figured that it would be intel over PowerPC because of intel having better power and being newer. I also noticed that the imac in question had a reserve price on it so i decided not to get it and to keep looking, i now know i should look for an intel mac. any other suggestions for a first mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thank you, I figured that it would be intel over PowerPC because of intel having better power and being newer. I also noticed that the imac in question had a reserve price on it so i decided not to get it and to keep looking, i now know i should look for an intel mac. any other suggestions for a first mac.

It might help if you give us an idea of your budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Definitely get an Intel machine.

If you want your machine to last you a while, you are going to need an intel machine.

You can probably get a good deal off craigslist or ebay on a pretty nice Intel Mac.

In my opinion, most PPC Macs are overpriced anyway.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No mac Just yet!
I have to say that this forum has the fastest response time out of every other forum.

My budget would have to be $200, but i am needing to get two systems. One i would like to have a decent graphics chipset that can play sims 2, 3, civ 4, cnc3 and everyday games. I am currently selling my PC so i can get a mac. It will be sold within two days. For most gaming i will be switching over to a 360, but at least some graphics power would be nice. I am mainly looking for a system with tiger or better cause since snow leo is soo cheap i can just buy it! unlike Microsoft!

And yes most the power PC systems on eBay are way too expensive, for a powermac g5 its almost 1000, and for an imac g5 its almost 500 buy it now!

Thank you for all your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I have to say that this forum has the fastest response time out of every other forum.

My budget would have to be $200, but i am needing to get two systems. One i would like to have a decent graphics chipset that can play sims 2, 3, civ 4, cnc3 and everyday games. I am currently selling my PC so i can get a mac. It will be sold within two days. For most gaming i will be switching over to a 360, but at least some graphics power would be nice. I am mainly looking for a system with tiger or better cause since snow leo is soo cheap i can just buy it! unlike Microsoft!

And yes most the power PC systems on eBay are way too expensive, for a powermac g5 its almost 1000, and for an imac g5 its almost 500 buy it now!

$200?
Yikes. You cant get much of anything with that. Maybe a Mac mini and an old LCD screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
In my opinion, most PPC Macs are overpriced anyway.

I agree. People expect the world for their old PPC machines. I still can't seem to get one for a decent price. They always seem to skyrocket into the $300-$500 range. Way to high for that they are worth. At those prices I'm better off getting an ipad. Well putting aside the cash for late May :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5 - Dual 2.0 - 6GB Ram
if you look hard enough you should be able to find a decent mac mini with an intel solo (not core 2) for around $250 on ebay.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

OK, you're going to have to be more realistic about your budget if you want to run anything remotely modern on that system. As was said, if you get extremely lucky you might find an old Intel Mac Mini (and I believe they were Core Solo, if I'm not mistaken) for about $300. And of course, they have the crummy Intel integrated graphics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Yeah, there's a reason we're always getting hit with that "apple tax" nonsense. Macs aren't cheap.

I would personally suggest saving a little bit before you jump ship. You can get a decent refurb or used in the $600 to $1000 range if you look for it.

If you MUST get a computer, now, and you decide to go powerPC, then you might see if there is a goodwill computer center near you. We have one here in Houston, and they occasionally get G4 and G5 PowerMacs in the $200 to $300 range for a complete setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.