• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ipod or RAM

Z

zap2

So im either going to buy a ipod photo 30gb, 2 Gb ram for my imac g5( right now its has 1 gb, and it was faster on panter so 2gb would speed it up on tiger) or safe the money. Right Now i have the 4gb gold mini( will be one on 6/1/05) and a shuffle but my school is starting to use ipod for school work and my mini can not use the italk,and school stuff would fill up my mini ipod. ANy thoughts?
The price for the ram would be $222 from crucial.com, the ipod would be 319 plus tax, my grand mother said she would pay half of the ipod so perhaps i could get her to pay 165 of the RAM( or half of RAM{111})

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
You need a magic 8-ball widget.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

hmm.. .what are u doing on the imac to be slowing it down with a gig.
open up ur activity monitor and look at the usage of ram and if u never get it to 100% then getting new ram wouldnt be worth it...

OP
Z

zap2

xthisisRomancex said:
hmm.. .what are u doing on the imac to be slowing it down with a gig.
open up ur activity monitor and look at the usage of ram and if u never get it to 100% then getting new ram wouldnt be worth it...

its not that it is slow it is still a very fast computer but not a fast as when it had 10.3,

OP
Z

zap2

with 2 forefox windows open, on itunes, talking to 2 people on ichat, 2 docs on pages, and dashbaord with 10 wigets on, i have 378mb free,that would be me doing more then i normal do. However it is slowe then when it was on 10.3 and i love how fast it ran on 10.3.

OP
B

badmojo

zap2 said:
So im either going to buy a ipod photo 30gb, 2 Gb ram for my imac g5( right now its has 1 gb, and it was faster on panter so 2gb would speed it up on tiger) or safe the money. Right Now i have the 4gb gold mini( will be one on 6/1/05) and a shuffle but my school is starting to use ipod for school work and my mini can not use the italk,and school stuff would fill up my mini ipod. ANy thoughts?
The price for the ram would be $222 from crucial.com, the ipod would be 319 plus tax, my grand mother said she would pay half of the ipod so perhaps i could get her to pay 165 of the RAM( or half of RAM{111})

You're probably not going to see a real performance bump going from 1 GB to 2 GB on the iMac, if you're using standard applications. Now what's this about schools using iPods for work? Save the money for the next iMac. You'll be glad you did.

OP
E

EvoMac

I would personally get the iPod. The difference in the 1-2gb of ram under normal use will not equal out the benefits of having a new iPod.

To make the jump from 1-2gb would make a difference mostly when you are using apps like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc...

OP
Z

zap2

i don't need a new imac for a few years, my schoool is using ipods for forgein languege,(Spanish for me) my mini can not use italk but a photo can and i would need more hard drive to use on for school work. I think that i may save my money to buy an ipod before i go back to school( I end school in like 18 day so my mini could last me the summer) Then my ipod would be the newest ipod out and it would be in good condition.

Reaction score
EvoMac said:
I would personally get the iPod. The difference in the 1-2gb of ram under normal use will not equal out the benefits of having a new iPod.

To make the jump from 1-2gb would make a difference mostly when you are using apps like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc...

I concur, I couldn't have said it better.

OP
T

Tel

iPod, no doubt. Still probably my favorite Mac product ever. I coultn't live without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
just curious, for all u Tiger users, how much Ram does Tiger's widgets use?I use Konfabulator on Panther and I know it's a huge memory hog.

If u used pro applications like photoshop, finalcut pro, etc, I would go with the Ram, otherwise the iPod for sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
To the beginning, 1 G RAM is plenty, I say iPod time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.