B&W then add colour ... GIMP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi all, im just getting into doing some photo editing and i havnt been thru a course at all.
I have looked and tried for a while now to do a certain thing, (not sure of the terminology) and cant seem to find the proper user way.

I have a picture i have converted to B&W and now there are certain items in it i want to bring back to colour. I have sort of played with it and can only seem to ADD a colour and not bring back the original colour, with mixed results as my hand isnt that steady for such fine work.

I am using GIMP ATM and would like to know a easy way of acheiving this.
Have looked for tutorials and lessons, but not knowing the terminology makes it a tad difficult

Cheers

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
First off you need to have the photograph in color. Then make a copy of it on a different layer. From there convert one of them into B&W. Layer it so that the B&W is on top, and erase sections of the B&W so that the color shows up underneath.

Doing a layer mask would be kind of the same thing as it's less destructive because you can always go back and paint back what you "erased."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Unibody Macbook Pro 15". 4Gb Ram. 320 Gb HDD. Dual Graphics Cards.
Yea. I reccoment what Crimson said. I use GIMP for my image editing as well. I have done this multiple times. That is exactly what I do.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thank you muchly all. Ill give this layering a try and see what the outcome is

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.