Having problems upgrading to Leopard

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I am helping my friend getting her laptop going. The first thing I needed to do was to reset her administration password; which after some research and her original OS CD was OK. Then, I tried to upgrade her laptop to Leopard, installation requests password, then restarts and after a little while I get a black screen telling me that the PC needs to be restarted; not error code or other explanation granted... I tried a few times with the same result. I did tried to start the laptop holding the c key but same results.

THe laptop is a Ibook G4 800 Mhz PowerPC, 800 Mhz, 256 MB DDR SDRAM and loaded with Mac OS X 10.3.9.

The installation CD is a new retail CD version 10.5.4

Any helkp would be greatly appreciated and have a wonderful day,

Steven

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
THe laptop is a Ibook G4 800 Mhz PowerPC, 800 Mhz, 256 MB DDR SDRAM

The installation CD is a new retail CD version 10.5.4

Leopard General Requirements said:
* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

minimum system requirements

* 512MB of memory
* DVD drive for installation
* 9GB of available disk space
* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
* Some features require Apple's MobileMe service; fees apply.
Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Technical Specs

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. So even if I could upgrade the memory I still cannot install it since the processor speed is only 800Mhz. Correct. That being the case, What would be the best OS I could install on this laptop? (I am going to upgrade the memory as well)

Thank you,

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Assuming it has built in firewire (I don't know too much about the ibooks) the specs appear to meet the min specs for OSX 10.4 (Tiger)

The min processor according to the wikipedia page is 333, the specs below I copied from an archive of a page from apple (current support page with requirements is here: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger system requirements There is another link on that page for system requirements that links you to the leopard requirements - the link I posted here is the current apple support link for tiger requirements (well, at least as much as they specify)):

Mac OS X Version 10.4 requires a Macintosh with:

* PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
* Built-in FireWire
* At least 256MB of physical RAM
* A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
* At least 3.0 GB of available space on your hard drive; 4GB of disk space if you install XCode 2 developer tools
* DVD drive for installation

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.