Adding Windows - Won't Get Past Blue Screen

Reaction score
We've tried several times to add Windows to my new iMac but it gets suck every single time right at the point of install, the blue screen where it tells you to hit enter to proceed. It seems like the keyboard loses connection with the computer. Any advise on where to go from here?

I am installing Windows for Photoshop only, as I miss it terribly. But then raises the question, if I install it on a 32gb partition, will that be enough to run Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements? Do I get to use some of my huge RAM when I use Windows?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of Windows are you trying to install? Make sure the version of Windows - whether it be XP or Vista - is an eligible version for installation using Boot Camp.

It sounds like the version you're trying to install may not meet Boot Camp requirements. Be sure to read the Boot Camp installation guide. Link

A 32 GB partition for Windows is more than enough to run Photoshop and elements. Once the machine boots to Windows, all memory and other resources are dedicated to it. Just as if you're using a Win machine.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
It's a 2002 SP2 version. As far as I can see, it meets the requirements. Someone else mentioned I should re partition...how do I do that?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I believe, and I could be wrong, that you can ask Adobe to give you a Mac version as long as you prove that you destroy the Windows version. Perhaps someone with more experience may be able to clarify this a little better.

Reaction score
As far as re-partition goes,

You have to take the partition made by Boot Camp and let the Windows disk reformat it, as advised on the Boot Camp guide.

If you are kinda lost, there's a moment during installation when the program asks where to install Windows. You'd normally choose the already formated partition made by BC and leave t as it is, well, you actually have to erase that partition and make a new one right from the assistant.

Just be careful not to erase or compromise the Macintosh partition.

I believe, and I could be wrong, that you can ask Adobe to give you a Mac version as long as you prove that you destroy the Windows version. Perhaps someone with more experience may be able to clarify this a little better.

That would be the wise thing to do. Having a mac and not using it for what it was originally made for its just :(

OP
K
Reaction score
I'd be happier if I didn't have to add windows onto my new mac but I also bought the thing to do photo and video editing and frankly, photoshop rules my world. :) I am familiar with it and it does everything I need it to do. I sent adobe an email regarding this...I have registered versions of both so hopefully they can help me out. Thanks!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You are talking the whole Abobe Suite? Photoshop itself has nothing to do with Video editing do remember. If you mean Premier, there is no OSX version of that but Final Cut Pro is an even better Video Editing app.

I somewhere have the info on transferring the license from the Windows version of Adobe Suite to the Mac Version. I believe it costs some $$$. I will see if I can find it and get back to you.

To me nothing can replace Photoshop, but Premier for sure Final Cut will do the job and better in my opinion anyway.

OP
K
Reaction score
I tried Final Cut prior to premiere and found it very difficult to use...maybe it was just my novice at the time and it would be better now. Thanks!!

OP
K
Reaction score
FYI for anyone wondering...this is what I got back from Adobe. I will update with cost (if any) and restrictions/conditions once I call tonight.

I understand that you would like to switch your software from one
operating system platform to another. We do have a system set up to do
just that but you will need to contact our Customer Service Department
to do so

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let us know how it goes. Also do give Final Cut another try. It's really very powerful video editing software. I really prefer it to Premier which I used for years prior to Final Cut.

OP
K
Reaction score
Adobe will send you a free version of the new platform. All you have to do is pay for the shipping. :) Sweet. My photoshop is on the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.