Problems connecting to wireless network

Reaction score
Hi,
I am totally new to the Mac world. I just got a Mac Book Pro today. I have a unique problem - I am able to connect to the neighbour's wireless network, but am not able to connect to my home network. I have no WEP enabled. I have a Linksys Access point router - BFSW11S4.

Please note that I have a couple of Windows XP machines, which are working fine with my wireless network.

Any suggestions or advise to fix the problem?

Any help to this new Mac user will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mani

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That is one OLD router, but one that I have personally used before and know to work with Macs. Are you running the latest firmware? Is it broadcasting SSID?

OP
M
Reaction score
Well..I have not done any upgrades on the router since it was worked like a charm so far. I tried with both SSID being transmitted and not transmitted. The MAC does not connect in both cases.

Thanks,
Mani

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well..I have not done any upgrades on the router since it was worked like a charm so far. I tried with both SSID being transmitted and not transmitted. The MAC does not connect in both cases.

Thanks,
Mani

Definitely give it a firmware update and we'll go from there. That router has got to be 6+ years old, so there's likely been a number of updates, patches and fixes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok. I just upgraded my Linksys firmware to the latest that was available, still same problem. When I try to connect to the network, it says connection failed. All my other XP base laptops are continuing to work fine.

The macbook pro connects to a neighbour's network without any problems, or without any change in settings.

Any further advise?

Thanks,
Mani

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I just upgraded my Linksys firmware to the latest that was available, still same problem. When I try to connect to the network, it says connection failed. All my other XP base laptops are continuing to work fine.

The macbook pro connects to a neighbour's network without any problems, or without any change in settings.

Any further advise?

Thanks,
Mani

Very strange. Try this, go into System Preferences => Network. Click on the Airport device in the left window pane. Click the Advanced button (near the bottom right corner). Find your network in the list, highlight it and click the "-" (minus) button to remove the entry from the list. Then, restart the system and try to connect to it again.

OP
M
Reaction score
I did what you said (removed from the list and rebooted). Still same problem
In parallel, I also downloaded updates for the MBP and installed them. Now, I get a message "connection timedout" when I try to connect to my home wireless network. The machine is still able to connect to the neighbour's network without any problems.

Thanks,
Mani

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did what you said (removed from the list and rebooted). Still same problem
In parallel, I also downloaded updates for the MBP and installed them. Now, I get a message "connection timedout" when I try to connect to my home wireless network. The machine is still able to connect to the neighbour's network without any problems.

Thanks,
Mani

Is it possible that you have MAC filtering enabled in the router? This is a setting by which you specify which MAC addresses are allowed to connect to the network (a MAC address is a unique, 12-digit identifier that is assigned to every network adapter, be it wireless or wired).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac filtering is disabled on the router.

Thanks,
Mani

One other thing to try before I recommend looking into a newer router (which I do think you should consider as that particular unit is now quite dated).

On the back of the router, there should be a recessed switch, possibly labeled "RESET". Disconnect the power from the router. Use a pen point or a paper clip to press and hold the reset button in. Continue holding the button and plug the power cable in. Wait 30 seconds and release. The router will now be set to factory defaults. You will need to connect to the router via a hard-wired computer and set it back up the way you like (or use the setup disc to configure it as though it was a new router). With that done, attempt to connect again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.