firefox3

Reaction score
why everytime i click on the firefox icon to start the webbrower, the icon is on the dekstop and i have to eject it alll the time when i'm done surfing ...this doesn't happen with safari

thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is because you haven't actually installed Firefox on your hard drive.

Most Mac software is distributed in the form of a DMG file. Think of a DMG file as a virtual CD. When you open it, the CD "mounts" to your desktop (sort of like inserting a CD in your drive). Then, you see the content of CD. At that point, you'll need to install the program contained within the DMG to your Applications folder - this is done by dragging and dropping the program icon onto your Applications folder. Once you do this, eject the "CD" by dragging it into the trash. You may then safely delete the actual DMG file.

Now, when you want to launch Firefox, just open your Applications folder and double-click the Firefox icon. If you want to keep it in the dock permanently, simply Control-click on the program icon in the dock and click "Keep in Dock".

See this article for more details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.