Mouse movement solved- Steermouse

Reaction score
One of my complaints about OS X has been the sluggish and slow mouse movement. Windows is far superior. Another poster told me about Steermouse and it solves the problem perfectly. Thank you- I bought it and use the Apple wireless mouse. Question though why wouldn't fluid mouse movement be a "no brainier" in OS X when it can do almost everything else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
One of my complaints about OS X has been the non-Windows-like mouse movement. Windows is far more like what I, personally, am used to. Another poster told me about Steermouse and it makes it just like Windows. Thank you- I bought it and use the Apple wireless mouse. Question though why wouldn't Windows-style mouse movement be a "no brainier" in OS X when it can do almost everything else?
No. Just because a certain group of users is used to doing something in a particular way does not make it automatically superior and natural.

For people, such as yourselves, who have an long ingrained habituation to Windows mouse behavior, there are third-party products. For those of us who are more flexible, there is no such need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I have to say... why would you expect any part of OS X to be exactly like Windows? The whole point is that they're different... You're going to be disappointed!

OP
Z
Reaction score
I have to say... why would you expect any part of OS X to be exactly like Windows?

Lets get real- NOT EVERYTHING is completely right in any OS (in anything period?) There are things in Windows that just make more sense or are better thought out- and Vice Versa with OS X.
Almost everyone that I have talked with (in my little itsy bitsy world) who have used Windows and then used or switched to a Mac complains that the mouse driver simply isnt as capable in OS X as it is in Windows- and with the moue on the fastest setting you are sliding your mouse all over the place (in a 24" monitor). With steermouse (as in Windows) you can adjust speed and sensitivity simultaneously and it is simply a "better" way and is more productive, faster and accurate.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's the way Mac OS has always been. The acceleration curve for the mouse is way different than the PC with Windows. I got used to it very fast but with a large display I do agree sometimes it could be a bit faster, move more with less mouse movement. Programs like Steermouse make that possible.

I remember when I got my first Mac, a Mac Plus with System 6.0.5. The mouse seemed slow and you had to move it a lot to make it go across the screen. I was more used to Windows and OS2 at the time. I did turn it all the way up though which helped me through the Transition from Windows to Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to say... why would you expect any part of OS X to be exactly like Windows?

Lets get real- NOT EVERYTHING is completely right in any OS (in anything period?) There are things in Windows that just make more sense or are better thought out- and Vice Versa with OS X.
Almost everyone that I have talked with (in my little itsy bitsy world) who have used Windows and then used or switched to a Mac complains that the mouse driver simply isnt as capable in OS X as it is in Windows- and with the moue on the fastest setting you are sliding your mouse all over the place (in a 24" monitor). With steermouse (as in Windows) you can adjust speed and sensitivity simultaneously and it is simply a "better" way and is more productive, faster and accurate.

Wow, did you read what I posted?

It said naff all about things being completely right with either OS. I used the word different, which they are, neither being perfect or right or wrong. If you hold one up as a standard for the other you will be disappointed because they're not always going to match up - and it's the differences that make them separate OSs.

Yes, we all have different preferences, but me liking chocolate icecream doesn't make strawberry wrong, and if you want to have vanilla, that's fine too.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Ska
I,m looking for productivity gains and time savings (the American way?) and for the most part OS X gives that to me over Windows. I am still a noob at all things Apple and when I finally get all my tweaks in place (Steermouse, Evernote etc...) then I think I will truly have found a computing "home". I agree that you said different and you are "correct", to me however different/better are in the same family tree -I prefer different (in productivity terms) only if its better not just for differences' sake.

But its all prattle anyway- now I love my new MacPro and just wanted to make the point that I only liked it prior to the Steermouse utility install. The other benefit is that I can now use the Apple wireless mouse that I really like a lot because of the tactile feel of the scrolly ball!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I had steermouse installed for a while. It duplicated the windows mouse movement. I don't have it installed anymore and I don't have productivity losses because of it. :)

The mac mouse movement is fluid, if you're used to macintosh mouse movements. I recall the movement being the same from my quadra850 to today :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oddly enough I don't like the mighty mice... lol. Love my trackpad, but I'm so used to it I can't use any other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
I hate to go in a different direction with this, but how exactly is the mouse movement different in OSX? I haven't found any difference between it in XP, Vista, or OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to go in a different direction with this, but how exactly is the mouse movement different in OSX? I haven't found any difference between it in XP, Vista, or OSX.

Yeah, I haven't really, so I don't really get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.