Changing IP Address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
A buddy of mine told me its a good idea to change your IP Address every few months or once a year, for security purposes? Ive never changed mine and wondered how i go about doing that? I dont know if this matters but my Internet Provider is Comcast. Any ideas on how to change my IP address?
Thanks guys.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Turning your modem off and back on will release your current ip address and connect to another one. The problem is you might get the same ip address again. Your isp will only have a small block of addresses.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A buddy of mine told me its a good idea to change your IP Address every few months or once a year, for security purposes? Ive never changed mine and wondered how i go about doing that? I dont know if this matters but my Internet Provider is Comcast. Any ideas on how to change my IP address?
Thanks guys.

Your buddy is a little confused. Your modem is leased a public IP address by Comcast, it is renewed or changed by DHCP every now and then. Also, rebooting your modem will generally update your DHCP lease. The machines behind the modem (and/or router) will get a private IP address - and that rarely needs to be changed, and if so, should be handled by the modem or router automatically (depending on your config).

In short, there's no need to manually change your IP address unless you've got a sophisticated home network and are familiar with TCP/IP.

Reaction score
Are you even allowed? If your IP changed, couldn't you access forums you where banned from?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you even allowed? If your IP changed, couldn't you access forums you where banned from?

I wouldn't say it's as much about being "allowed" as being "able to". Your modem asks for an address and your ISP gives it one from a pool. Typically, it doesn't change a whole lot and is still in a particular range. Most serious bans are for a range of addresses.

OP
Dîstü®béd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Its not for a ban of any kind. I was just curious. Thanks guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.