Still running 1.0.2! Help needed...

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just wanted to see if anyone could point me in the right direction on this.

I have an unlocked iphone that I got in the US last August. I had a friend of mine unlock it so I could use it in the UK on O2. He managed to unlock the phone on the first day the hack was released (ie: this was back in August long before the nice looking GUI tools came along for jailbreaking and unlocking the iphone) and he spent about two hours ‘flashing’ and recoding and whatever the **** he did (I don’t know as im not that technically-mided unfortunately!).
As a result I’m still running on 1.0.2 firmware. I want to upgrade to 1.1.4 but have heard a few horror stories of people doing this from 1.0.2 and ending up with a totally useless (albeit it very pretty) paperweight!

I have the installer.app on my iphone at the moment so am I right in thinking that I need to:

1) ‘Virginize’ the phone back to factory settings (something to do with the baseband?!). How do I do this?

2) Plug the phone into my laptop and upgrade the firmware from 1.0.2 to 1.1.4 via itunes as I would with a legitimate iphone.

3) Jailbreak the phone again using iBrickr (can I use this on a windows machine or does it have to be done on a mac? Reason I asked is that when my friend originally hacked the phone he had to do certain parts of it on his mac).

4) Re-install the installer.app and run something like AnySim 1.2.1 to unlock the phone again and stick my O2 sim card in.

I think I’m along the right lines I just want to make sure so I don’t end up locking my iphone up for good!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.