windows sharing problem

Reaction score
When I try to access my windows pc on my home wireless network using my macbook (leopard) the windows pc is found but it asks for a password.

I do this via Finder > Go > Connect to server.

I don't think I have a password for this pc connection. I have tried guessing a few passwords I may have used or connecting leaving the password blank. It does not work.

I am told the volume of the pc in question could not be mounted.

When I click on 'network' there is no sign of the other computers on the network.

I have tried pinging the pc in question and this detects it fine.

My son's pre-Leopard Macbook accesses the other networked pcs in the house automatically with no problem.

Any ideas about where I find the password I need or bypass the need for a password?

Thanks,

Luke

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
On the Windows machine, you should have at least one account that you use to log into it. If the machine doesn't prompt for a password upon boot up, it's likely that you only have one account. You can glean some more information about this account from the Control Panel => User Accounts. Look at the default account that you use. That will be the username that you use to connect to the machine's shares remotely. If there is no password specified, then you'll just use a blank password.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks Cwa.

Yes I have two user accounts on the windows pc. Neither have passwords, including my own administrator's account. When I click on the mac connect to the pc after leaving the password blank it tells me that the volume of the pc cannot be mounted.

What I cant understand is how the pc shows up in the network of the older mac but not the newer one and why connecting with a blank password doesn't work when there is no password. I am guessing there is something about the settings on my mac leopard mac that is casing problems that doesn't on the older mac.

Any advice welcome.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks Cwa.

Yes I have two user accounts on the windows pc. Neither have passwords, including my own administrator's account. When I click on the mac connect to the pc after leaving the password blank it tells me that the volume of the pc cannot be mounted.

What I cant understand is how the pc shows up in the network of the older mac but not the newer one and why connecting with a blank password doesn't work when there is no password. I am guessing there is something about the settings on my mac leopard mac that is casing problems that doesn't on the older mac.

Any advice welcome.

No clue. I have not experienced this difficulty in Leopard, although I have seen it with Tiger. I would set up a test account on the XP machine, give it a password and try connecting with those credentials.

OP
L
Reaction score
Creating a user account password didn't work. Amy other ideas about how I can deal with this would be welcome - windows pcs do not appear in mac leopard network windows but do appear in a mac tiger network. Using go > connect to sever detects pc but says volume can't be mounted when I try to connect on blank password.
Thanks anyone who can help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.