Need a good audio editor...plz?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
Hi,
I'm a new mac user (and loving it!!)
I'm looking for a good audio editor, and I need some suggestions! I'll probably need to learn a new one, because the one I used before, Adobe Audition, isn't mac-compatible, like the rest of the Adobe suite.

Main Uses
  • Vocal Recording Studio
  • Mixing music/mashups
Features Needed:
  • multitrack editing
  • recording from external interface-Mbox 2 Mini
  • compatibility with Antares Auto-Tune
  • center channel extractor (aka "Vocal Remover")
  • VST compatibility
  • a beat matching tool would be nice (rather than having to count out beats and stretch time to achieve the effect), but not a must
  • basic effects (delay, filters, time/pitch manipulation, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
You could take a look at Bias Peak Pro which is meant to be the Mac replacement for SoundForge (THE best audio editor in the world, and PC only - boo).

Otherwise, Soundtrack Pro by Apple is top notch and simple to use. Might need to get Logic to use it though...300 or so quid I think, but a great program for making music.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soundtrack Pro is part of the Logic studio, which is quite expensive, but if it has everything I need, I will save up and get it. I've seen it because my friend owns Logic Studio, but does it accept VSTs? and is it possible to do beat matching in it? Also, can I do a centre channel extraction (vocal remove)?

Thank you!

Cam

Reaction score
Don't even consider using Logic ever. It's a joke, a toy of a program. I've never used a piece of software so obstructive and unstable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Yup... I was going to say Soundtrack Pro! I love it and it's the first thing that came to mind when I read your request.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for telling me not to use Logic. I nearly went out and bought Logic Studio (which has Soundtrack Pro), but I didn't, thanks to you.

What do they use in recording studios? What I liked about Logic is that you could also make music as well, but also edit in Soundtrack Pro.

Can someone recommend another program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Well Ableton Live can do everything that you are looking for. Tis what I use, albiet for slightly different purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Thanks for telling me not to use Logic. I nearly went out and bought Logic Studio (which has Soundtrack Pro), but I didn't, thanks to you.

What do they use in recording studios? What I liked about Logic is that you could also make music as well, but also edit in Soundtrack Pro.

Can someone recommend another program?

Oh, man...don't judge Logic just by one random user's opinion. There will always be some people who don't like something, and others who swear by it. Thousands of professionals use Logic, and it is one of the industry standards. Try a demo or something before you buy, but don't write it off just yet.

Just glancing at your needs, it does look like Abelton Live is what you are looking for though. Not cheap either, but it is also an industry standard. I think it will do everything you're looking for.

Edit: you can download a demo here:

www.ableton.com/downloads

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok. I will look into Ableton. Thanks!

Where can I get training videos for it? (I used to use www.lynda.com , but they don't have ableton listed on there...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
I don't know about videos, but Ableton has a step-by-step orientation when you first open it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Thanks so much for all your help! It looks really awesome, can't wait to get started!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
It is quite fun, especially when you get really deep into it.

Have fun!!

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.