Performance Impact and Orphaned dstream objects?

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro that has recently developed severe performance issues. Issues such as VERY slow to open pictures, loading, everything delayed, etc.

I scanned for viruses, malware, tried using cleaning software such as Clean My Mac, Macbooster, etc.

When I ran First Aid in the Disk Utility, I noticed I was getting a lot of "Warning orphan dstream object id" and it eventually said too many warnings and reverted the volume. I did not have time machine activated which is what most articles point to as the culprit.

I tried running first aid from recovery boot and same thing. I tried reinstalling Mojave and same thing.

I don't know that these two are related but seems like it. All the SMART apps say the drive is ok.

I know I'm probably not providing all the information you need to diagnose but I don't know what is helpful and what is not.

Can anybody recommend next steps or where to find some help with this?

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 187.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.30f2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you tried Safe Mode?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Also, you do not need those cleaner apps, they usually do more damage, than good. Research online how to properly uninstall them completely as they have a habit of leaving remnants behind.

OP
M
Reaction score
I was confused with Recovery Mode and Safe mode. So here is my latest update:

I booted into Safe Mode - by the way, doesn't say safe mode anywhere, but I noticed that a lot of extensions or apps didn't load at startup so I'm guessing this is correct,

I ran disk utility and got the following:

Volume couldn't be unmounted.
Using live mode.
warning: spaceman main free count 13560293 does not match the sum counts 13560281
error: (oid 0xe7eeed) apfs_root: btn:_omap_lookup_obj(0xe7eeed,0x804837c): No such file or directory
Snapshot is invalid
The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.
restoring the original state as mounted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Basically, you have some corrupted files on the internal SSD. From a quick search, it seems most of them are in Time Machine snapshots. You can check for snapshots and remove them using the guidance in this article: https://www.macworld.com/article/3260635/how-to-delete-time-machine-snapshots-on-your-mac.html

If it's NOT TM snapshots, the best path forward is to make a clone copy of the drive, using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, then do a recovery/reinstall using these techniques: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Once you have a clean running system, you can do a restore from the clone. The problems should not return, given the way the clones are made in both applications.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You cannot do a disk repair in normal or safe mode since you are booting into the drive you are trying to repair. You only do that from the recovery console since that's a separate volume than your normal macOS one. Looks like you've tried the recovery console and haven't gotten the issue resolved.

A reinstall of the OS won't fix corruption issues that the installer is only going to safely restore macOS back without affecting your data.

It does look like you have some set of file/collections that are corrupt and need to be resolved. It would be great if DU would do the repair in some piecemeal form so that it fixes a couple of issues and runs again to fix a few more and continue until they all fixed as opposed to trying to fix all the issues at once.

Without a Time Machine backup, your only reasonable course of action might be to manually backup your important data/applications to an external drive. CONFIRM that the backup was successful and the data is intact. THEN AND ONLY THEN, boot back into the Recovery Console and erase the Macintosh HD partition and re-install the OS. Once the OS is restored, do a quick DU scan to confirm things are fine and then go ahead and restore the contents from your backup.

Once everything is back to working order, enable Time Machine. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.