• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Viewing Posts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Since I joined this magnificent forum in 1734 (OK, 2007) I've been able to view posts without the requirement to log in.

I've now noticed since a couple of weeks ago that I have to log in to just view posts. When did this change?

Apologies if I've missed an announcement and I have looked to see if this has been covered before but couldn't see anything.

Not really an issue, just that sometimes I advise friends to have a look on here to see if their issue or problem has been covered but now they won't be able to do this unless they sign up for membership.

TIA Nick :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I’m sorry, but when using the iOS app, there is no longer a way to see your system specs, would you be able to let us know what they are?

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Bob,

Here's a screenshot of Nick's specs.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 12.28.20 pm?.png

BTW, I think this might be a new aspect of the Forums. Can't be 100% sure though.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Through one of the recent incarnations of the forum, my guess is after the long downtime through the Penton transition, the forum was set up to be private unless signed in. So it's not you, it's the forum. :)

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
thanks everyone :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not really an issue, just that sometimes I advise friends to have a look on here to see if their issue or problem has been covered but now they won't be able to do this unless they sign up for membership.

Hey...why not sign up for a membership...it's free!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I stay logged in all the time. Am I missing something here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I also stay logged in, but it does seem un-friendly not to allow folks to read without logging in. If a visitor wants to post, by all means, an account and logged in is required, but just to read, why the requirement?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And I thought that in times past, if a non-member put a question into Google, it might well come up with a direct link to one of our Forums.

Has that stopped too?

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I also stay logged in, but it does seem un-friendly not to allow folks to read without logging in. If a visitor wants to post, by all means, an account and logged in is required, but just to read, why the requirement?

Agreed

And I thought that in times past, if a non-member put a question into Google, it might well come up with a direct link to one of our Forums.

Has that stopped too?

Ian

The SEO is really hit or miss because the crawlers have a hard time getting to the posts. So sometimes you will get a direct link, but clicking on it will yield the login page. So you are definitely not seeing all the posts show up on Google or any other search engine that's recent at least.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.