System Storage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
and you can instruct iMazing to keep no more than a certain number of backups (in my case 6) and auto-delete or request-delete the oldest BU when you come to the 7th.

Hmmm...??? I see no such options... using iMazing v. 2.9.3 with Mavericks 10.9.5.

I did manage to find the Delete and Show in Finder options of any iMazing 2.9.3 backups — available with a select and then right-click.
A bit odd that those options definitely were not showing when I tried earlier today or before when I was looking. Gremlins I guess... :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Anyway, this is all good to know so thanks for the input. Now i know where they are and how many to keep I'll be able to monitor storage. I think I neglected to realize that these preferences need to be set for each device. Consequently they got a bit scattered.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hmmm...??? I see no such options... using iMazing v. 2.9.3 with Mavericks 10.9.5.

I did manage to find the Delete and Show in Finder options of any iMazing 2.9.3 backups — available with a select and then right-click.
A bit odd that those options definitely were not showing when I tried earlier today or before when I was looking. Gremlins I guess... :Smirk:

- Patrick
======
Patrick the options are there but you don't get to them via iMazing's preferences. It's a bit counter intuitive and if Ian's post hadn't reminded me that they were there I'd have forgotten about them. I had to poke around a bit to figure this out.

Try the following:

1. Connect your IOS device and launch iMazing.
2. Select your device in the list on the left side of the window that appears.
3. On the right side of the window choices such as Backup, Quick Transfer, etc. appear. Choose Options
4. A new window opens. In the line that says Backup Archiving choose Change.

You seem to have access to this series of options even if the device isn't connected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)

- Patrick
======
That's odd, Patrick. I'm on the same version on Mojave and when I open iMazing Preferences and click on "Backup" I get this:
2019-03-19 09.41.39 pm.png
I deleted my account name, but you can see where the default is set and where iMazing has used space already. You don't see that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's odd, Patrick. I'm on the same version on Mojave and when I open iMazing Preferences and click on "Backup" I get this:
I deleted my account name, but you can see where the default is set and where iMazing has used space already. You don't see that?

Yes, I see that thanks Jake.

What I don't see or get are the settings that Ian suggested, ie:
and you can instruct iMazing to keep no more than a certain number of backups (in my case 6) and auto-delete or request-delete the oldest BU when you come to the 7th.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, I don't see the "counts" setup either, but there are settings. With a device connected, you can click on the gear symbol on the main window of iMazing and then see this:
2019-03-19 11.23.48 pm.png
And when you choose to change the setting for Archiving, you get this:
2019-03-19 11.22.02 pm.png
No "number" options, but a "time" option that may or may not work, depending on how often you backup.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes Jake that's what I get too.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That's exactly what I was referring to Jake - and Sly. I apologise for my misuse of the word "preferences" when I really meant "options"; but as you can see, they are there and offer a degree of flexibility.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As an addendum to my post above, may I also mention some of the other options which might suit some people.

Automatic Backups really means scheduled BUs, assuming you leave your iDevice connected to your Mac.

WiFi Connection - which I found more of a nuisance than a help, but which might suit others. See Jake's first screenshot in post #26 for an explanation of how it works. Basically if you have your iDevice with you and you sit down at your Mac, the two will communicate wirelessly and a BU will occur automatically.

Finally, back to BU Archiving, in addition to determining how many BUs you want stored, you can have a different setting for each iDevice if you wish. I keep mine the same for all my iDevices, but my wife uses her iPhone & iPad so frugally that a BU once a month is enough, so keeping BUs longer than this is wasteful of space.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No "number" options, but a "time" option that may or may not work, depending on how often you backup.

Thanks Jake, maybe those are the settings Ian was referring to.

Anyway, my iMazing.app is working well enough for our use the way it is currently set up.

EDIT:
It looks like I forgot to post this last night with a nudge and a reminder from autosave this am.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Would iMazing Mini help alleviate any of these issues? I uses it and it shows me all the backups available, with their dates?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.