Music on iPhone: Why is Shuffle Not Very Random?

Reaction score
I have a playlist of just over 350 songs (about 22 hours of music) which I have downloaded to my iPhone. I listen to this playlist during my morning cycling workout which covers about 12K and takes bout 30 minutes. I always hit the "Shuffle" button to start this playlist. I normally hear eight to ten songs per workout.

But, Shuffle seems not very random. For example, I've heard the same Bob Dylan song (Girl from the North Country) every day this week. I've also heard the same Diana Krall song (Frim Fram Sauce) both yesterday and today.

Now, I realize that humans are not very good at determining what is random and what is not and that probability is not well understood by most people; especially old men like me.

But….

It does seem like Shuffle ought not play the same song three days in a row when it's only playing ten songs from a 300 song playlist.

Any ideas?

OP
R
Reaction score
This is very interesting. (And, excuse me for not searching anywhere but this forum….)

Back in the 60s when I was at university I was learning to write code (PL/1) on an IBM 360/40. One day the random number generator stopped working so the operator offered up a box of chads punched from Hollerith cards which, of course, each had a single random (?) digit. We were invited to take as many as we needed.

Perhaps Apple has based its shuffle algorithm on a similar method.

OP
R
Reaction score
After reading some of the posts turned up by @pm-r's Google Search I figured out a way to get more randomness.

Instead of starting the playlist by hitting the Shuffle button, pick a song, any song, and play it. Then hit the Shuffle button. That will play a new, seemingly random song after which subsequent songs do not repeat the songs I've been hearing all week. Perhaps that changes the seed song to which Apple applies it's random algorithm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
After reading some of the posts turned up by @pm-r's Google Search I figured out a way to get more randomness.

I'm glad to read that you found a solution, and without having to resort to using any punchcards or a spinning Roulette or gaming wheel.

And probably a bit of relief that you can skip some of the Bob Dylan and Diana Krall repeats. That would sure be a relief for me, especially if they never played. :Smirk: ;D

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you leave the Music app open, can’t you just press Play/Resume and it will continue the “shuffle”process?

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm glad to read that you found a solution, and without having to resort to using any punchcards or a spinning Roulette or gaming wheel.

And probably a bit of relief that you can skip some of the Bob Dylan and Diana Krall repeats. That would sure be a relief for me, especially if they never played. :Smirk: ;D

Well, I did say I was old….

If you leave the Music app open, can’t you just press Play/Resume and it will continue the “shuffle”process?

Only if you don't play anything else in between. I've got a cycling playlist that I listen to every morning. But, by the time coffee hour arrives I'm listening to something completely different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I did say I was old….

Well, I'm sure not a young'en with my 78th B day happening this Saturday. But just not my music style...

- Patrick
======

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure not a young'en with my 78th B day happening this Saturday. But just not my music style...

Yeah, you win. I'm only 69. And, you'd probably be appalled at my playlists. But, hey, it's a choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I remember from BASIC days that a computer random number generator is not all that random.

However, I would hope things are better these days :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-
Any one who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin.
- John von Neumann

thumbup2.gif clap.gif

- Patrick
======

OP
R
Reaction score
Instead of starting the playlist by hitting the Shuffle button, pick a song, any song, and play it. Then hit the Shuffle button. That will play a new, seemingly random song after which subsequent songs do not repeat the songs I've been hearing all week. Perhaps that changes the seed song to which Apple applies it's random algorithm.

I've been using this method for a week now and am happy to report that it Makes Shuffle Great Again. In many hours of listening to several playlists I have not yet heard the same song twice.

@pm-r - Nor have I heard a single song from either Bob Dylan or Diana Krall.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What! Obviously you're not doing it right then.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb

- Patrick
======

Oi, I am a Girl from the North Country! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I've been using this method for a week now and am happy to report that it Makes Shuffle Great Again. In many hours of listening to several playlists I have not yet heard the same song twice.

@pm-r - Nor have I heard a single song from either Bob Dylan or Diana Krall.

Totally unrelated, but as you bought up Bob Dylan... I was in Trondheim last week where, during the 1960's renovations, the head of the angel atop one of the towers of Nidros Catherdral was replaced with the head of Bob Dylan. This fact brought to you as a free public service. Feel free to Google it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oi, I am a Girl from the North Country! :D

But possibly not one of Dylan's old girlfriends...!!! Or are you all the same... ??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.