Opendirectoryd

Reaction score
Ever since I downloaded Avast, my Mac fans run almost constantly & when I look at the Activity Director, it shows opendirectoryd hogging a lot of my CPU. I uninstalled Avast but still having problem with opendirectoryd. Any help gratefully accepted. TIA.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Are you sure that you completely deleted Avast and all its hidden tentacles?

I assume, that you simply dragged the Application to the Trash or Right Clicked on it and deleted (Admin password required)?

It is possible that there are remnants of this unnecessary AV app still present.

One way to check is to download "Find Any File" from here: http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php. - or from the App Store.

After downloading and installing, open and input Avast in the search box. Delete any files it finds.

Please post back.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
opendirectoryd is part of macOS Mojave and has nothing to do with Avast. It is the service that manages your local network connections. Do you have any local network mounts/connections on your machine? Are you running the latest version of Mojave? Have you reboot your machine after removing Avast and monitored what happens with Activity Monitor from the start up?

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I don't remember how I uninstalled Avast but will try the methods above. Definitely rebooted since then. Once the opendirectoryd starts running, my laptop gets downright hot. Have to turn it off & wait a few minutes to turn it back on without opendirectoryd.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi again. I used the Find Any File program & found about 200 files using the search term "avast" and moved them all to the trash then emptied the trash. Then rebooted. So far so good. No opendirectoryd. Crossing fingers. Thanks all!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Find Any File , as our dear member, Patrick, will endorse, is a great app for finding these hidden files.

Avast, like some other unnecessary AV apps digs deep into the system. Needs careful removal. Fingers crossed, all continues to go well for you.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Find Any File , as our dear member, Patrick, will endorse, is a great app for finding these hidden files.

Avast, like some other unnecessary AV apps digs deep into the system. Needs careful removal. Fingers crossed, all continues to go well for you.

Ian

Thanks Ian, and I would really agree with your reference to "Needs careful removal" as a FAF search for "contains avast" produces a completely unrelated file on my Mac that I gather should not be deleted. ie:
javastartparametersdialog.ui

Yes it contains 'avast', but hiding a bit!!!!

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.