• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Deal Alert: Get a Refurbished iPhone 7 for as Low as $220 from Woot

Reaction score
Deal Alert: Get a Refurbished iPhone 7 for as Low as $220 from Woot

7e4b76fb.jpg
AppleDid you hold off on last week’s iPhone 6 deal? Maybe you thought that model was a little too old or too slow. Woot has you covered today’s iPhone 7 deal; you can get one for as low as $220.
We still think the iPhone XR was the best smartphone released in 2018. But not everyone wants to or can drop $750 or more on a smartphone. And while we love FaceID maybe you think you’ll miss the classic home button and TouchID.
If that’s you, and you’re still running an iPhone 6 or older, you might want to consider today’s Woot iPhone deal. $220 or $260 will get you either a 32 or 128 GB iPhone 7. Depending on the size you choose, you can pick either Black or Rose Gold (the black model is 128 GB only).
The iPhone 7 looks very much like the iPhone 6 at first glance, but the changes on the inside were huge. This update introduced a quad-core processor, more ram, and a brighter screen. You also get 3D Touch baked in, which is something even the iPhone XR can’t say.
Your potential downsides? The iPhone 7 is the model that killed the headphone jack, and the Woot deal doesn’t include an adapter or charging cable. Additionally, Woot does warn that because this is a refurb, you should expect some scratches and dents. Woot tested the phone for functionality and offers a 90-day warranty, but don’t expect a brand new out of the box look. The odds are you’re going to throw a case on it anyway.
But those are minor downsides—especially if you already have a lighting jack cable. And by accepting those downsides, you get a solid iPhone at an affordable price. Just make sure to choose the bands that work with your carrier (CDMA for Sprint and Verizon for example).
Buy From Woot

Read more at howtogeek.com

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just bought one and will report back when it arrives. Right now $$$ is VERY tight and the 5s is getting old although it runs latest IOS very fast. Battery is getting bad so I got some birthday $$$ and sprung for the 7. The 7 has the A10 Shimpi core CPU like my 10.5" iPad Pro so it should fly! I purchased the Black one with 128GB. I wish I had the $$$ for an XR but no dice! :D

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Dennis....

Let us know the condition of the phone. I've not heard of any bad experiences from folks who purchased from Woot, however, I'm always a bit leery about buying something refurbished other than from Apple.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey Dennis....

Let us know the condition of the phone. I've not heard of any bad experiences from folks who purchased from Woot, however, I'm always a bit leery about buying something refurbished other than from Apple.

Hate to put a damper on things, but here's a bad experience (that Woot did, fortunately, make right)...

I bought an iPhone 6S from Woot a couple of years ago for my son. It was advertised as "refurbished" and when it arrived, though it was functional, it had signs of heavy wear. Scratches on the screen, dings on the aluminum back and so on. It would not activate on Verizon. Disappointed, I contacted Woot and they sent another. Same story, heavy wear, but mostly functional -- the second one had an aftermarket screen panel (there was no oleophobic coating and you could tell the tolerances were not the same with the way it fit to the case). Again, it wouldn't activate on Verzion, who told me that they had to have a specific EIN number for it to be compatible, despite their claims of now fully supporting 4G/LTE compatible phones. Luckily, Woot took it back and issued a full refund.

I specifically asked Woot about the "refurbished" designation and they agreed that refurbished implies the device is restored to a like-new condition and uses factory parts. I have since noticed that ALL of their phone listings now say "SandD" and this ad is no different. For those who don't know, "SandD" is short for "Scratch and Dent". So, they're basically getting them from companies that take device trade-ins and they likely have been given a cursory inspection and not much else. It's also a crap shoot as to whether it will activate on VZW, if that happens to be your carrier.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Chris. Hopefully Dennis will get an iPhone 7 in good condition.

Some years back, I purchased a "new" iPhone 5C for my wife from a seller on Amazon. It activated okay and was in new condition, however, when I tried to add Apple Care to it, I was told by Apple that this particular iPhone was a reissued model under warranty for another that had been defective. In other words, I was on my own with it. Never had a problem with the phone but it is important to know exactly where the phone came from before purchasing it.

Every other iPhone after that one, we purchased direct from Apple and never had a problem with any of them. Of course that means we wound up paying Apple prices.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I got one tablet from Woot and it was S&D I believe and it was very nice. Time will tell. I will for sure report back. If it's not decent I will demand my $$$ back.

I checked Apples Refurbs and nothing I could even come close to afford or I would have in a heartbeat.

My 5s came from Ebay used and it was almost mint. Worked for a long while but like I said battery is starting to fail.

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quick update for now. Will post more later. Phone arrived today. without my strong magnifiers on it looked mint. with my magnifiers on only marks are in rounds of the top corners rounded edges. Screen and back are 100% mint. Tried every function and all works and works great and FAST. Battery so far appears to be in great shape. Updated to the latest IOS update (it was 3 point updates behind). When I use it more i will post back but so far quite nice. I have a case coming tomorrow and even those small marks in the corners will be hidden.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good news Dennis. I like the size of the 7 and 8 iPhones which for my hands and pockets are just right. I recently received an iPhone gift card from my son and purchased an iPhone 8 with it. I gave my iPhone 7+ to my wife. She likes the larger size and like most women carry the phone in her purse.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Looks like that deal is sold out. Too bad, my brother is looking for a reasonable iPhone for my niece. When I sent him the link Saturday he didn't get it. Right now she has a cheap phone for calls and uses an iPhone 6 for FaceTime. He'd like to set things up so she is using one phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.