Some annoying but not terrible issues, is an upgrade in my future?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
This is my current machine:
MacBook Pro (13inch mid 2012), 2.5 ghz , i5, 16 gig 1600 mhz, 1TB SSD, Mojave 10.14.3

I'm not a power user, mostly emails, some photography, FB, the usual time wasting stuff. Lately, perhaps 2 or 3 times out of 10, my computer doesn't come out of sleep mode without a hard reboot. The last time it happened, it also reconfigured several things, desktop picture and icon placement, wiped out my email library and disabled email entirely. When opening up the dictionary, all letters were question marks, same thing happened with numbers in the calculator app. This all went away after another hard reboot. The computer wouldn't restart or shut down from the drop down menu.

I DID upgrade a couple of days ago to 10.14.3, and it seems to be stable since then, but it's only been two or three days, so the jury is still out. I ran Onyx and Malwarebytes and both gave me a clean bill of health.

I have made upgrades in the past couple of years, upped the ram to 16 gig and replaced the hard drive with an SSD.

I'm curious when or if I should begin considering upgrading the computer to a newer model. At what point will the newest OS no longer be compatible with my machine? Bearing in mind that like I said, I'm by no means a power user.

ken

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome back to the forums.

Your MacBook Pro - 2012 model is already on the Apple "vintage" list and very likely Mojave will be the last version of macOS that it will accept. Having said that, as long as it serves your purpose and is useable, there is no point purchasing a newer machine unless you really want the latest and greatest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Your MacBook Pro - 2012 model is already on the Apple "vintage" list
He has the same one as I do, and MacTracker still lists it as "Supported". It only went out of production in Oct 2016.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Thanks for the quick replies.

Ferrarr, probably sounds silly, but I've never done any of those things and frankly, it creeps me out a bit. I'll certainly give it a shot if the issues continue. Thanks !

Chscag, Frankly the last thing I want to do is purchase a new machine. I'm still figuring out THIS one LOL. The latest and the greatest is low on my list of priorities. Enough balls for some moderate photo editing is about all I need, and that's why I updated the RAM and installed the SSD. It was a slug, even just using the native Photos program. I'm more than satisfied with the performance now.

MightyGem, that is good to know. Probably good for another couple of years then.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, where did you purchase your Ram upgrade from? What brand is the RAM?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious, where did you purchase your Ram upgrade from? What brand is the RAM?

Dennis,

Man, is my time line ever skewed. I thought I put the new RAM in a year, maybe 18 months ago. It was November 2015 ! It's Crucial RAM, purchased from Amazon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.