iMac mid 2010 Video card issue (?) - Photos included

Reaction score
Hi guys!

First time here and obviously for a good reason: my old iMac is giving up on me and I'm trying my best to save it!
It's a model A1311 with a radeon HD4670.

What it does is the following:

- After a normal use for 15/20 mins, the screen shows some artifacts first that after few seconds get worst, see pics below:

IMG_7854.jpg

IMG_7855.jpg
(Yes, I was watching a guy playing heartstone :rofl

- It's completely unresposive: I can sometimes see the mouse pointer move, but I can't interact. Not even a cmd+q with the keyboard.
The audio keeps going tough.

Now, what I'm trying to figure out is it's a video card problem or a logic board one..

Since I'm already in the situation below, I'd love to figure it out asap, so to buy the right component and swap it.

IMG_7871.jpg

thanks to whoever will take the time to help me out!

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It does appear to be a video card problem. That particular model iMac did have video card troubles which can be resolved by replacing the card or trying to bake it and reflow the solder. Lots of information can be found on the various procedures by doing some googling.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply.
I guess I'll fire the oven then :)

Let's see how it goes: before buying a new gpu (150$, 110 pounds here in the uk), I'd rather try another solution!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
hi lollo0711

best thing to try is oven baking it for 10 mins at 200'c

that may solve the problem all together if not its a replacement GPU

let us know how you get on

Jason

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.