MacBook Pro 15-inch 2018 Trackpad issues

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, I'm surprised that they did not offer you a new machine from the start. I have read thru threads on other Apple forums where the genius bar replaced the defective unit without question, and sometimes for lesser problems than you indicated.

You might want to consider writing a letter to Apple Canada about your experiences with this particular machine. Hopefully you've been documenting everything that has transpired and keeping all correspondence from Apple as proof.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think most of his problem stems from this:
but I took it to an "authorized repair depot" for three reasons. (1) Apple recommended them. (2) It is down to street from where I live while the closest apple store is in the next town. (3) The apple store had estimated a week while the guys down the street promised two hours.

He didn't GO to Apple, he called them. He didn't take the machine to Apple, he took it to an authorized repair person (albeit one recommended by Apple).

I think, had he taken it to the nearest Apple store, he would have gotten an immediate replacement. But now it's in the hands of this "depot" guy who doesn't seem to know what he is doing.

Apple Canada may help, but I personally think sugar works better than vinegar in this kind of situation. If the new machine comes back with ANY new marks or scuffs from this depot, I would take it to the Apple store in the next town and have a pleasant discussion with the manager, face to face, explaining the whole saga and simply saying that "I have a machine with this and this damage from an Apple-recommended repair depot, after waiting this long. What can, will, Apple do to make it right?"

OP
Vision Dreamer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MBP15, 2.9 i9, 32GB, 4TB, Vega 20 4GB, 2019 MBA 13, 256GB, iPhone6s, Apple TV, Airport Exp & Ex
He didn't GO to Apple, he called them. He didn't take the machine to Apple, he took it to an authorized repair person (albeit one recommended by Apple).

I think, had he taken it to the nearest Apple store, he would have gotten an immediate replacement. But now it's in the hands of this "depot" guy who doesn't seem to know what he is doing.

Jake, thanks for your assessment. I agree 100 percent. As I noted earlier, the promised 1-2 hours turnaround time was the main factor which convinced me to use the depot. Now I am living with my mistakes. I must however give a lot of credit to the “depot guy”. The MBP was returned yesterday and it appears to be in excellent condition, cosmetically. That being said, sometimes scuffs, dings and other issues are not immediately obvious.

To recap, last Friday the new logic board had arrived but without the matching “top case”. A “top case” was ordered which arrived on Monday. It was installed and tested the same day and I was able to pick up the machine yesterday (Tuesday).

It took 6 hours to install the latest time-machine backup only to discover that the new track pad is displaying similar symptoms but this time not only on the left, but the right side as well, where it would intermittently freeze.

According to my calculation, it’s been a total of sixteen frustrating days thus far and the machine is still malfunctioning. Needless to say, I am stunned and possibly irrational as a result, so I should take a few deep breaths before responding. However, I see two possible options. (1) take it back to the “depot guy” or, (2) contact Apple. I would expect Apple to tell me to take it back to the “depot guy” to complete the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would offer a third option. Take the machine to the nearest Apple store and ask for the manager. Explain (calmly) what you have been through and say, politely, that you don't have confidence in that Apple depot any more and what can he/she do for you? If you use a bit of sugar instead of vinegar, the manager may find a way to be of greater help than anyone on a phone.

Good luck with it.

OP
Vision Dreamer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MBP15, 2.9 i9, 32GB, 4TB, Vega 20 4GB, 2019 MBA 13, 256GB, iPhone6s, Apple TV, Airport Exp & Ex
Apparently, there is a rule at Apple where, if the repair takes more than 14 woking days, the machine would be replaced. However, it doesn't matter that it's been three weeks since the machine was first taken in to the depot, nor does it matter that the problem with the trackpad still exists, the rule no longer applies since the machine was handed back to me. Apple's response is to simply take it back and have the top case replaced again. It was really funny when Apple customer service noted how bad they felt and offered to pay for the repairs for a machine that is under warranty and also have AppleCare+.

To add to the frustration, their senior advisers seem to be shying away from this issue. I say "this issue" because I have contacted Apple in the past about software issues and the follow-up was very good till there was a solution. However, with this track-pad issue, I get promises from Senior Advisers that they will "own the problem" till it is solved. They provide extension numbers and email addresses but will not return calls nor respond to emails.

What's next! Looks like they have dug-in and will not replace the machine. Unfortunately, it must go back in again for the same issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm confused. Do you have the machine back, and is it working? If so, then why press for a replacement at this point? You have a working machine repaired by an Apple depot level technician. If it's not working, then the 14 day argument may apply. Or has it failed again? I don't understand the "it must go back in again" comment.

If you have it and it's working, I would suggest you put this behind you and get on with using the machine the way you want. If you continue to fret over it, you won't have any fun with it at all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Jake, he is still having trackpad issues since he got the machine back. Thus his complaint.

OP
Vision Dreamer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm confused. Do you have the machine back, and is it working? If so, then why press for a replacement at this point? You have a working machine repaired by an Apple depot level technician. If it's not working, then the 14 day argument may apply. Or has it failed again? I don't understand the "it must go back in again" comment.

If you have it and it's working, I would suggest you put this behind you and get on with using the machine the way you want. If you continue to fret over it, you won't have any fun with it at all.

My apologies for not being clear. I do have the machine back. Ttrack pad is intermittently failing on both sides now, which is worse than the original problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you actually taken it in to your nearest Apple store? Not called, but showed up in person? Make an appointment with one of the Geniuses at the Genius Bar and demonstrate the issue and give the history. Be polite, see if the manager will make the swap. Apple locally wants to keep people happy and managers have a pretty wide latitude to do that. Just remember, you get more with honey than vinegar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I believe the Apple stores have more leniency than the service centers do, which is the reason the stores are significantly much more busier. In my opinion, it is always better to deal with the manufacturer, than it is to deal with a "sub contractor".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I wonder what causes only some portions of the trackpad to fail? I wonder if there's a problem with sensing pressure from finger input.

Have you tried turning the forceclick and haptic feedback off and back on after a while?

OP
Vision Dreamer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder what causes only some portions of the trackpad to fail? I wonder if there's a problem with sensing pressure from finger input.

Have you tried turning the forceclick and haptic feedback off and back on after a while?

It's a good idea, thanks. I tried turning the heptic feedback on and off and it doesn't make any difference. It's quite frustrating when you are busily working and the track pad intermittently stops responding at the edges. Apple definitely failed at least twice so far with my MBP, when they advertised

"Force Touch Trackpad
The Force Touch trackpad lets you interact with your Mac in a variety of ways based on subtle differences in pressure. You have precise control and a uniform response — NO MATTER WHERE YOU CLICK ON THE TRACKPAD — as well as plenty of room for Multi-Touch gestures like pinch and zoom. Your fingers will feel right at home."

Do you think it might be poor quality control? My request for assistance from Apple is not unanswered. The did leave a message on my answering machine last night around midnight. They want me to know that they are available if I need to follow up.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the Apple stores have more leniency than the service centers do, which is the reason the stores are significantly much more busier. In my opinion, it is always better to deal with the manufacturer, than it is to deal with a "sub contractor".

Thanks, I will follow your advice and take it to the apple store the next time.

OP
Vision Dreamer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The case regarding the issues with the trackpad is now closed. After the third occurrence, Apple promptly replaced the MBP and closed the case.

What seems odd however, is that the issue did not disappear with the new machine. After testing other machines at the store as well, it would appear that the problem exists with machines of a certain vintage. It did not exist on my older machines (2008 and 2012). I have reported it to Apple but have not had a response as yet.

It would be interesting to know the extent of the issue. If you have a newer machine and wish to test it, here’s what you can do. Alternate between using the the right and left of the trackpad. Stay approximately 1/2 - 3/4 inches from the edge. Track on the right, then click on the left. Repeat, but click on the same spot. In my experience, after about the 5th click, the clicking becomes unresponsive. Sometimes, the tracking would fail on the right as well. Also, tracking on the left and clicking on the right produces similar results. As noted above, I have been using the trackpad this way with my earlier MacBooks without any issue. Would appreciate your feedback.

OP
Vision Dreamer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple engineering is currently investigating the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.