Image Capture Question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
I want to remove almost all of the 2500+ photos on my iPhone. (I am performing a massive, lifetime Photography overhaul/reorganization over 3 computers (yeah, about 250K images) More about that later :)

My iPhone has 2500 images on it, but Image Capture only sees 450. The remaining 2100 have been imported before (and backed up too) but before I zap all these current pictures, I'd like to download ALL of them once more, bound for their now thumb drive.

I've looked online to try and solve this (and yeah, I am getting real tired of only getting forums and articles written 8 years ago-but that's another topic for another day). So I came here for some help.

TIA!

Cheers!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What version of OS is on your Macs? I ask to see if you have iPhoto or Photos. I think either of them can import directly from the iPhone. Assuming I remember correctly, you could open a new photos database in either, import from the phone into that database, then once you have them there, export the files to the thumb drive. iPhoto/Photos may be able to see the "missing" photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What about using iMazing.app or similar utility and have a look at what they can show.

But I'm also wondering if Image Capture can actually "see" all the various photo/camera File types that the iOS may be using???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
What about using iMazing.app or similar utility and have a look at what they can show.

But I'm also wondering if Image Capture can actually "see" all the various photo/camera File types that the iOS may be using???

Well, while Patrick was replying, I was putting together some images showing the same solution, i.e. using the app iMazing - so just a suggestion for one way to approach your photo transfer dilemma - I just cabled my iPad Pro to my MBPro laptop to demonstrate how this app can be easily used to get your images from the iDevice to your computer (or an attached 'drive', etc.).

In the first image (app opened on my MBPro), the 'Photos' app on the iPad is opened; 2nd image shows just some of the pics in my 'Camera Roll' on the iPad; in the 3rd image, 8 pics on the iPad were selected and the 'Export' option pressed (allows to select 'where' to export to..); 4th image after I selected my 'Desktop', the 8 pics have been transferred - may be a major task w/ hundreds of pictures but the app works well. Dave :)
iMazing1.png
iMazing2.png
iMazing13.png
iMazing4.png

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, everyone for your replies! And I am sorry for not posting my OS.... this is an aging McBook Air, (late 2011), running OS Sierra 10.12.6

(I am not sure this old machine can handle any later OS versions? But that's another topic for another day. ;-)

I just could not figure out why neither Image Capture or Photos would not 'see' the older, already downloaded photos on my iPhone X (iOS 12.1.4). I guess once a picture has been transferred from the phone to either Photos or Image Capture it is 'marked' somehow and neither app will download it again? Just a WAG. :)

I will download iMazing after I send this to you and will report back.

Thanks again, everyone. I truly appreciate your assistance, as always.

Cheers!

Pat

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I just downloaded iMazing and in less than 20 minutes was able to transfer ALL 2400+ pics from my iPhone to an external drive. Interestingly, when I clicked on All Photos (in iMazing), it only showed the 400 or so pics that have never been downloaded off the phone yet. BUT....when I went further down the list, and clicked on Pictures, all 2400 pics showed up.

I then just highlighted them all, and exported them to my external drive. Badda Bing, badda Boom!

Now I can remove all 2400 pics off the iPhone and when I get my pics sorted out, I can then transfer back a hundred or so I'd ever want to share with anyone.

And no, I am not doing this to clear up room on the iPhone X. Currently, (before I delete all photos), I have 229 gigs of space available out of 256, so I am not doing this because of lack of disk space. ;-) It's more of an organizational thing. I know, I know, I've wanted a little too long and have gotten way behind, but in a couple of weeks I should have every photo (digital and film) I've ever taken all corralled onto two external drives (from 11 externals right now) and can then get on with my life.

Thanks again, everyone.

You folks make this forum the best of the best out there for Mac issues.

Cheers!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
(I am not sure this old machine can handle any later OS versions? But that's another topic for another day. ;-)
I just downloaded iMazing and in less than 20 minutes was able to transfer ALL 2400+ pics from my iPhone to an external drive.

Well, just while we're here, your Air can run macOS High Sierra (10.13) it seems, but check some of the features it can't do:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/index-macbook-air.html

Thanks for the good feedback on iMazing.app and hopefully you can pay for it through some of the Mac Bundles if they are still in effect and save some money. Try a google search.

I have 229 gigs of space available out of 256, so I am not doing this because of lack of disk space. ;-) It's more of an organizational thing.

With such a comment, I can't help think of the marvelous iView Media Pro.app that was available some years ago, until they got greedy for $$$ and sold it to MS and some other company that basically killed it I believe.

It was great for organizing one's photos and media etc. IMHO.

- Patrick
======

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick!

Like always, I thank you for your help.

I will check out the link you provided too. I basically just use the MBA now for email and surfing... it's too small (11" screen) and is starting to run pretty hot (replaced the battery a year ago) to do much of anything else. I feel it is slowly degrading enough that it may have to be replaced by something a tad newer here pretty soon. But no complaints.... it has served me very, very well for 7 1/4 years with out a hiccup. That's rare! :)

Cheers!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I just downloaded iMazing and in less than 20 minutes was able to transfer ALL 2400+ pics from my iPhone to an external drive. Interestingly, when I clicked on All Photos (in iMazing), it only showed the 400 or so pics that have never been downloaded off the phone yet. BUT....when I went further down the list, and clicked on Pictures, all 2400 pics showed up.....................

Thanks again, everyone...................

You folks make this forum the best of the best out there for Mac issues...................

Hi Pat - glad that iMazing worked out for you - and I'm sure you've already noticed that the app can easily back-up (and restore) an iDevice - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.