Is it time to Upgrade?

Reaction score
So I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro that I bought to go back to school in 2011. Over the years I have updated the the RAM from 4 to 8 gig and replaced the HD with a 500 gig SSD. My battery is on its way out I can get about 2 hours on a full charge but hey its 8 years old I'll take it. I am currently running High Sierra and this is where my major concern is, the past three times that I have tried to update the software once it downloads the update installs itself and restarts, it will not boot I get a load error screen with a bunch of code on it and twice I had to use Time Machine to reinstall a older version and once I tried restarting it a bunch of times and it finally "seemed" to be okay. Is Apple still supporting High Sierra or could it be something in my system? I would like to be able to update my system but its becoming a pain in the *** to. I have looked into a new MacBook Air but I am not a big fan of not being to update my hardware down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I get what you are saying. I have a 2011 MBPro has been upgraded to 16GB and a 500GB SSD. All I use it for now it to capture live video which it is perfect for. For my personal laptop I have a 2017 MBPro. Since I purchased it there has been reported issues with dust under the keys causing keyboard failure, a spotlight affect starting at the bottom of the LCD resulting in eventual LCD failure, and yes, it can not be upgraded. All that said - so far mine is working flawlessly and I keep a keyboard cover on it just in case. But the fact is Apple has moved far away from consumer upgradable models. If you do upgrade be sure to buy what you want as you will not be changing it later - unless you are talented at soldering!

High Sierra is still supported for now. One idea to make sure your copy of HS is working could be to download the combo update directly and install it. A lot of times the combo works better.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1944?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am currently running High Sierra and this is where my major concern is, the past three times that I have tried to update the software once it downloads the update installs itself and restarts, it will not boot I get a load error screen with a bunch of code on it and twice I had to use Time Machine to reinstall a older version and once I tried restarting it a bunch of times and it finally "seemed" to be okay. Is Apple still supporting High Sierra or could it be something in my system?

If the MacBook Pro works fine when reverting to a Time Machine backup...then it's something OS or app related. If it were a hardware thing...then the backups wouldn't work either.

Also...can you clarify what sort of updating you're doing (OS related, app related, etc)?

If you're trying to upgrade your 2011 MacBook Pro to the lastest macOS 10.14 (Mojave)...that could be the problem...since 2011 MacBook Pro's do not meet the system requirements for Mojave.

- Nick

OP
ryanp77
Reaction score
It’s just the standard Mac updates when they pop up. Nothing third party or anything like that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.