Apple Made Chips

Reaction score
So here's a question. I'm thinking about buying a new mac but the scuttlebutt is they will be moving off of Intel chips and on to Apple made chips in 2020.

Now I know not all of the software will be optimized for those chips right away and they will basically have to run in emulation mode. The last time that happened with the move from PowerPC to Intel it took about three to five years before they stopped supporting the old chips. So theoretically any Intel mac purchased now would still be useful until 2025 or so.

What do you think? Is it worth to wait for the new chips or just go ahead and buy the Intel mac?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Don't base your decisions today on rumors. Whenever Apple decides to make that switch, it will continue to sell Intel based machines for a while. Once they believe the app ecosystem (the most important part) will be appropriately supported on the new systems is when you will find a greater influx of these machines. Most active app developers will get access to the machines or early SDK or something to confirm that their apps will work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What do you think? Is it worth to wait for the new chips or just go ahead and buy the Intel mac?

Great to hear you been with Apple computers as far back as the PowerPC to Intel transition. There was also the BIG transition previous to that...which was when Apple transitioned from the "Classic" MacOS to Mac OS X. As you mentioned...these transitions didn't happen overnight (Apple had multi-year solutions in place during the transition)...AND...the new stuff took years to be fully optimized.

Let's assume Apple actually does switch to Apple made chips in 2020 (which may or may not happen if roadblocks are encountered). Then consider that it may take 2-3 years before everything is fully optimized for the new chips (software offerings from software developers, video hardware, integration with the macOS, etc.). If someone was to wait for full optimization...it could be 2023 or 2024. And like you said...Apple will have solutions in place...that for computers recently purchased in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019...will still be very useable for years.:)

Not worth the wait in my opinon. If you need something newer now...then the time to get something newer is now. Can't wait until 2024 or 2025.;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with both of the previous replies. If you need a new Mac now, buy it now. By the time Apple completely changes over to ARM chips from Intel, your new Mac will be getting close to being obsolete. :goofy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
By the time Apple completely changes over to ARM chips from Intel, your new Mac will be getting close to being obsolete. :goofy

Good one!:)

- Nick

OP
JWrightBrain
Reaction score
Oh yes, I battled through the OS 9 to OS X transition. That was a slog! I miss being able to make my own boot screens. :'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.