Need some help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did the friend email the zip to you? Are you clicking on it in Mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I find the problem when unzipping a file is that it ends up in the same folder as Jake mentioned, but if the folder is sorted by date, the file ends up sorted by the file date which could be days or months earlier than the files that show in the folder currently.

To save me looking for the unzipped file, I just create a new folder on my desktop, drag the zipped file into that new folder, double-click to unzip and then the unzipped file will show up in that new folder as well.
Files in macOS have four dates for Modified, Created, Last Opened and Added. You can select which to view in Finder by right clicking on the column title bar in the list view, then select. I think Added will then let you sort into the files most recently added to the system, which should put the unzipped files at the top.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.