Obsolete

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I guess this is just my way of getting my anger off my chest
Apple a multi billion dollar company all of a suden say's " we won't support those
machines any longer" It does not say we can't but we wont.
Now I under stand that new software to be efficient needs to be compatible
with the hardware, but in some cases this is really not the case.
Take 2 incedences.
My Macbook pro 2011 13" is running OS Mojave... (yes)
and has been since Mojave came out... the only majore and needed
items that I don't have is full support of my video card and my bluetooth.
That in itself is interesting since the BT and WifI both are on the same chip.
we are talking drivers not hardware.
The BT is not supported because Apple decided to move on to another chip,
but why not just write a driver for the old Broadcom chip. I know that in the
case of video OS Mojave supports "metal" gpu, yet it's just a driver as some of
the late 2011 had a metal card... and I know from reading that Nvidea was trying
to work with Apple. I also read that Apple is not giveing internal softare info
to third parties to write drivers for those devices.
In my case I never used bluetooth, but recently I wanted to setup a wireless
speaker for dances. although my BT reconizes the devices it will not comunicate
with them. This is software issue the drive was in High Sierra, at least I think it was
but left out for Mojave...
Now I know my Laptop is old, but it runs just fine. no bad pixes, boots fast
maybe a little slow. because the video card is not fully supported I don't get
the (light) mode fully... Isight works...
One other things I noticed is that for say a BT dongle, there are none with
Mojave support? so what happens if for some reason the BT chip breaks,
Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...
Maybe we could get congress to pass a law like they did for cars that
the have a 5 year repair warrenty.. HaHaHa
And yes I have got great use for the dollar spent on this machine... but I can't
afford to buy a newer MAC, and yes I could go back to HS... but what a pain
that would be..
Well for 5:30 AM this was not bad...gets me blood moving..
Best

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi sandman,

Well, it is more likely to have raised your blood pressure to new heights than added to your cardiovascular fitness:wink

This is a discussion post rather than offering hard & fast solutions.

My comments would be: you're mostly right; you would have known that macOS Mojave required metal support in advance; you could have stayed with macOS High Sierra as things worked pretty well - or even Sierra which I always thought was a solid OS.

If you have a Cloned BU of macOS High Sierra, it's not such a big deal going back to HS.

Not sure I can add much more; but I do mean well:smile

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey Sandman...thanks for expressing & sharing your frustrations. I'm sure all of us at one point or another have felt the same way.

I know you've already mentioned "yes I have got great use for the dollar spent on this machine"...which of course is awesome!:)

If purchasing a newer computer is really not in the budget at the moment...and if High Sierra was working great...just as IWT mentioned...moving back to High Sierra is the way to go.:)

- Nick

p.s.
I'm actually still using a 2011 17" MacBook Pro, a 2011 13" MacBook Pro, and a 2011 13" MacBook Air (all 8 years old of course)...and the newest OS I have installed on any of them is High Sierra.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I feel your pain! I have a 2011 15" MBP still running High Sierra and doing just fine. I also have a 2010 MacPro that I upgraded to Mojave thinking - silly me - that Apple would eventually let Nvidia write a driver for my GTX 1080. Not so... I had to put my GTX 780 back in as Apple supplies a driver for it.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're running a version of macOS that was not designed for your machine and you're complaining about it? Like has been said above, go back to High Sierra which is the version of macOS that is supported by your machine and then you can setup that wireless speaker for your dances.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're running a version of macOS that was not designed for your machine and you're complaining about it?

Wow...thanks Charlie...I totally overlooked that detail...thanks for mentioning it!:)

Hey Sandman...get that "puppy" back to running High Sierra ASAP. Running a non-compatible OS version is just a "incompatability-minefield"!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I lubz my 2011 17" MBP. Originally I was sad that it wouldn't support Mojave, but I did come to accept it's eight years old and High Sierra runs fine on it. (I have newer Macs with Mojave)

Side note: I have an old 2007 MBP with El Cap, and ya know, YouTube will still play full screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You hackintosh it and this is Apple's fault?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Same frustration here, my friend. I just retired a 2011 15" MBP and replaced it with a 2018 MBA. The graphics hardware is of course inferior in the MBA, but it's supported by Metal, so here we are with mostly inferior hardware, but under a supported configuration per Apple.

I suppose you could always throw Win10 or Linux on there and get some more use out of it. For me, I wanted to stick with MacOS, so had to pay the Apple Tax. I guess it's really just a matter of how deeply engrained you are in the Apple ecosystem. For me, there really wasn't any other option.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You hackintosh it and this is Apple's fault?

Well, to be fair, we all know that his hardware is fully capable of running Mojave, which is basically lipstick and mascara on 'High Sierra'. Apple hasn't made any significant leaps in terms of architecture in more than a decade now. They have simply decided to force users into replacing their functional hardware, likely because their current crop of hardware is unappealing in many ways, particularly to those who are savvy. I don't see how you can characterize it as a "hackintosh" when it is in fact Apple hardware.

H

honestone33

Although one can understand your frustration sandman, such a state of affairs is not going to change any time soon. I myself will be facing a dilemma near the end of this year, but I'm already planning for it. I have a late 2012 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 Mac Mini that is coming up on 7 years of reliable use. All my peripherals work well with it, and I have been extremely pleased with how well it has served me. The only upgrades I did was 1) install a 256 gig SSD about 6 years (and eventually sold the slow, 5400 rpm 1 TB drive that came with the machine), and 2) upgraded the RAM to 8 gig. Unfortunately, Mojave is the last Mac OS that this machine will support. So, I am planning on selling it "soon" and getting one of the latest Mac Mini models, so that I can upgrade to "some" future versions of the Mac OS (maybe 6 or 7 of them).

The remarks others have made about Sierra and High Sierra are certainly valid. Heck, some folks believe (probably correctly) that Snow Leopard was one of the best versions of the Mac OS to be released. The two caveats about continuing to use an older version of the Mac OS are 1) Apple will stop releasing Security Updates for them, and 2) updates for third party software you use could become a thing of the past. But Sierra, and especially High Sierra, are recent enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.