PUP invasion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Good morning every-one, YES he is back! Sadly I have a problem on my MacBook Pro 13 inch A1278 late2011 model, running High Sierra. I have acquired a PUP called Chromium and NO it is NOT Google Chrome. It came to me on a supposedly clean thumb drive; it appears on boot up, it is not in finder or on launchpad or any list of software I can find. I have to physically close it after each boot up. I have Premium MalwareBytes which after each scan declares "Congratulations. You are clean". I am at a complete loss as to what I can do to delete it, can any one point me in the right direction please and I stand suitably and severely remonstrated (b0ll0cked in my language). Sorry if I cause offence there!

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian - hello, nice to hear from you again! I had trouble with re-registering with a new password and decided to have a rest from the forum. Have managed to get new password in an am now up and running once more; at 84 &1/2 years old I am not as tolerant as I used to be and believe me it shows.

I have looked at macfly pro and it looks good but in my estimation it bears out the old saying "you get what you Pay for". For my humble needs it is a touch expensive; I have followed onscreen instructions but I am too thick to get exactly where they get. Cannot find the GO button in FINDER for example and my screen image is nothing like their's is. That being so I have decided to leave things alone and grin and bear it. Must admit do not use the laptop all that often so no harm done. I thank you for your suggestions and also for taking the time to reply to my post.

I hope you and your family are all as well as can be expected? I have not been the same since I broke four vertebrae in my lower back but at my age what more can I expect

Very best regards from Keith in Derby.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Keith Enjoyed oru brief FaceTime cponversation. Too bad I had to go to work or we could have talked longer.

I don't have the files that you need to remove on my computer but I think I've got a way to walk you through the process. If you can hang in untill tommorow I'll let you know what I figure out.

Edit: The go button isn't actually a button. When you are in the Finder (says Finder next to the Apple menu) Go will be one fo the menu options. When you click there choose the Go To Folder option. From there you can enter the path to the file as it is described in those directions.

Last edited:
OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Slydude, I too enjoyed our fast contact. Nice to see and hear you. I can run the two computers at virtually the same time (clever little imp) so your idea seems to be very good indeed. I took a chunk of flesh out of my little finger this afternoon about half an inch long and 3/16 wide. No problem really, just cut the loose bit off and put a plaster on it; now after about two hours it suddenly starts chucking blood out all over the place ( wife not happy about that). On all sorts of blood thinning drugs so control is not easy. Methinks I need a stitch or two inserting so that means a trip to the local A&E Department as any Doctor's surgery are now closed for the weekend. Never mind, these things are sent to try us. Now waiting for a son-in-law to come over for a lift.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better area (macOS Apps and Games).

- NIck

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wives are never too happy with blooshed no matter what the cause. Twenty odd years ago I gave myself a cut requiring one stitch and the Mrs. hasn't let me forget it. Hope you are well soon.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Sly said:
Wives are never too happy with bloodshed

Unless they caused it;D

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In this case the injury was due to my unwillingness to use a knofe sharpener in the way the manufacturer intended. What do they know?

Since the injury was a result of my own stupidity/carelessness thiss guarantees the incident will not be forgotten.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Keith, the floss manual method in the second link from Slydude is much easier to understand and perform. You don't have to put up with it, get rid of Chromium in two steps. No need for third party software, or anything else, just Finder. As Sly said, the "Go" is on the top bar when Finder is started up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also go into System Preferences <> Users & Groups <> Login Items and make sure nothing is there you have not selected.

You do not need MacFly Pro or any cleaning software other than Onyx, which is free.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello every-one, Thank you all very much in your replies to my problem with Chromium. I followed Slydude's instructions to the letter and I must report complete success. Chromium is no longer on my laptop and once again I am indebted to Mac Forum members - all my heart felt thanks to one and all! I do not know what I would do with out you all!

Very best regards to one and all.
From Keith in Derby England.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done. Glad you got that sorted out. Hopefully it will be a good long time before you encoounter anything similar.

I'd suggest locking the blokes responsible for such things in the Tower of London but I don't think there's enough room.

I intended to do a FaceTime call this morning and see how you made out but I overslept. By the time I woke up, given the time difference, you might well have been down at the local pub for a pint. :smile

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.