2017 iMacs and i7 CPU Temps

Reaction score
I'm considering buying an iMac and can't decide between the 21.5 inch or the 27 inch. I don't need the extra screen real estate because I like running multiple monitors. A 27 inch alone would be a downgrade for me.

I'd love the 27 in with the i7, but I read that it runs hot and the fan keeps running. Users have shown CPU temps of 100 degrees at times. I know Apple says that's within normal ranges, but if you read Intel's literature they say it isn't safe.

So the 27 inches run hot. My question is does anyone have experience with the 21.5 inch iMac? Do THOSE run hot? I'm willing to sacrifice some performance if I can have a safer and cooler machine. My studio gets HOT in the summer so ambient temps would be over 70 F.

I'm a graphic designer and would use the mac for design, photoshop and some games. Not really into video projects.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The heat is based on the use case. My 27" iMac and an i7 doesn't run above 80 degC under heavy load and the fans do their job to keep things in check. EVERY electronic component generates heat when stressed, but there are other components (coolers, fans) that are designed to dissipate that heat.

Ambient temp of 70 degF should not be a problem at all.

You will not have any issues with this.

Reaction score
Just before Christmas I bought a new 27" iMac with the I7 processor. Weather has been cold in the area so I have the heater going close to around the clock and the average temp in the computer room has been right about 75-78 degrees. I have not had any problems at all with the system running hot, or any other kinds of problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The 27" iMac has better everything, compared to the 21.5".

Why not check out the new Mac mini?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, JWrightBrain,

I have had nothing but 27 inch iMacs over the last 10 years.

You can read the exact specs of my current iMac on the left under my avatar.

Not one of these machines has overheated. In fact, even under duress, the fans rarely come on.

The 27 inch has, by far, the better specs than the 21.5 inch.

Without offence, I recommend that you go by users' experiences rather than by isolated statements made on the internet. If there really was a problem, the 27 inch iMac would not be the good seller it is today.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Another thing to think about is that the 21.5" iMac is not user upgradeable as far as adding memory. The 27" iMac is. Also, the graphics processor in the 27" model is better suited for the work that you'll be doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The 27" iMac is. Also, the graphics processor in the 27" model is better suited for the work that you'll be doing.

+1. Plus the advantages of the i7 CPU.

Basically, like using the proper tools for the job!!!

- Patrick
======

OP
JWrightBrain
Reaction score
See, here's the thing. I've been doing professional work on a 2008 MacPro, with an upgraded video card (3GB) and just a regular HD for over 10 years. It works fine. The only reason I want to upgrade is it can no longer support the newer operating systems like High Sierra or Mojave. I'm running El Capitan on it now.

So ANY computer would be an upgrade at this point. **** even an iMac with a 3.0 i5 would be an improvement.

Top of the line really isn't necessary to do the work. On my current machine I've done murals, billboards, publications, websites, etc. My biggest issue is boot times and startup times for programs. For all else, I have what I need.

But the old horse needs to be put out to pasture and I have to settle for an iMac instead of a new upgradable MacPro. Yeah a new MacPro is coming soon, but I'm sure I won't be able to afford it. It's not like I can afford an iMac Pro or I wouldn't even be asking about the 27 in iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
So here is my thinking whenever I ponder a new system--I go as big as I can because I want it to last as long as I can nurse it along. Buying something 2-3 years old isn't attractive because the "use by" date on those older systems is much closer in. I can't afford an iMac Pro, either, but if I were in the market for an iMac, I'd go as big as I could afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 16gb Catalina 10.15.3, iPhone XR, iPad 9.7
Welcome to the forum. From suggestions and help here I made my first iMac purchase a couple of months ago. I have done a few things different which I’ll share. I went with the 27” which I love, I bought it with a 256 SSD which I’m sorry I didn’t go with a 256, I also choose 8gb ram knowing I have access to upgrade it myself, I also choose the i5 7th generation which is good for my needs. Like some have suggested and what I’ve always tried to do on pc purchases is to buy as much into the future as I can afford/justify. Hope this helps and good luck on your decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went with the 27” which I love, I bought it with a 256 SSD which I’m sorry I didn’t go with a 256,

I'm pretty sure we can assume what you actually meant. :giggle

But 256GB drive storage space can be quite adequate for many users with their main computer, especially if they aren't heavy duty pack rats. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. What do you primarily use it for and how does it perform?

It runs great. I use it for documents for woodworking, recipes and any info I want for a resource or to learn, power point and database stuff. Also for photography stuff and music, only games playing are jigsaw puzzles and card games, internet reading and shopping. So I don’t put a lot of pressure on my system. The only time I get a beachball is when I connect to my network app that lets me print wirelessly on a non-network printer. I plan on adding a 8gb stick in the future.

Hope this helps some.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only time I get a beachball is when I connect to my network app that lets me print wirelessly on a non-network printer

Actually Kenny, any wireless printer can and often does act as a network printer.

Just being picky here... :Smirk:

But what are you using when you say "when I connect to my network app that lets me print wirelessly on a non-network printer."???

Or is your printer a non-wireless model that you've set up for some wireless use?

Just curious.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have used 27" i7 iMacs since 2011 and yet to have any problems, heat or otherwise.

Also found i7's are easier to sell as second hand when the time comes. I live in a hot part of Australia with a high humidty and never have heating problems. First week of Autumn (Fall) still reaching +30ºC (86ºF) daily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick,
Last year when I upgraded my Linksys Router I choose one that had a usb port for attaching a printer and another port for an external hd. I bought a Linsys AC2600 EA8500 Router. They use a app called USB Control Center (USB Printer Utility) to connect to let you connect to the attached printer on the router. So either myself or wife who have computers in different rooms can share the printer. Of course only one at a time. Linksys just released a version that works with Mojave and I am using a 10 yr old brother laser and it works great and can still get toner and drum etc for it.

Hope that makes sense Patrick. I'm not best at explaining technical stuff sometimes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A router that supports an external hard drive and printer is always a nice thing to have. The problem I have and that of many folks is that we keep our routers in a place where it will provide the most WiFi coverage. That usually means attaching a hard drive or printer via USB is not always convenient because of the distance between the router and printer/hard drive.

Wireless is still the best solution. :smile

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.