trouble updating Java

Reaction score
I had to update it for a certain web page to work so I did so but then nothing happened and I couldn't find it in my downloads folder and nothing updated by restarting the laptop.
I have a Macbook Pro with Yosemite
thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How did you update it? The update wouldn't be in the downloads folder, the updater might be.

OP
J
Reaction score
I just followed the steps to download it, the computer just led the way.
nothing new is in the downloads folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
the computer just led the way.
That is an excellent way to get malware, and worse, on your system. Hoaxers use internet prompts to get people to download all sorts of crap by that method.

IF you have a backup from before you did that, what I would do is wipe the entire machine, reinstall the OS and restore from the backup, then get any Java update you need from Oracle and nowhere else.

At a minimum, get some scanner for malware and look to see what else may have been installed when the computer led the way. At this point you have almost no way to know what's on your system.

OP
J
Reaction score
I just went there again and clicked download and it showed a "ball" arcing up and then landing bottom right into the download folder but when I use finder to look in downloads it don't show anything downloading. should it?

OP
J
Reaction score
now I see where it downloaded to but I couldn't find it before because I was looking for latest downloads but the date on this one is 12-16-2018 for some strange reason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
now I see where it downloaded to but I couldn't find it before because I was looking for latest downloads but the date on this one is 12-16-2018 for some strange reason

Try going to their correct page:
Download Java for Mac OS X
Recommended Version 8 Update 201 (filesize: 76.18 MB)
Release date January 15, 2019
https://www.java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp

Also, try using the Java update tab in your System Preferences Java Pref Pane.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.