Problem with Pages programme

Reaction score
In the last month or so my normal word-processing programme has taken a bit of a wobble.

1/ It seems to switch between auto-saving a documents name (as a number) and inviting me to select a name for it when saving.

More worryingly and annoyingly.

2/ I'm typing away and sudden the letters stop appearing in the doc, I click using the curse back into the doc - and type away as normal for a while before it happens again.

It's pages version 7.3

Any ideas what is going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You didn't say what Mac, but if it is a MBP with a trackpad, the trackpad is VERY sensitive to touch so if your hands touch while typing, the focus shifts to wherever the mouse is at the time. You click back, it works for a while until you brush the trackpad again and it's deja vu all over again. You have to learn to arch your hands just a bit to clear the trackpad and the problem should go away.

I don't know what to say about your first issue. Can you give us some more information? What do you mean by "switch" and how are you creating the document in the first place? I tend to open a document, save it almost immediately as the name I want and then enter the data so I don't see that kind of auto save naming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that eliminates the touchpad, then. What kind of mouse? How is it connected? If it's bluetooth, are there any other nearby bluetooth devices that might be interfering? What kind of keyboard?

OP
D
Reaction score
Mouse and keyboard are both Bluetooth.

- - - Updated - - -

Switching - sometimes is asks me to save the document with a name - other times when I save it saves with say Untitled 49.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could it be that something is temporarily interfering with the connections of the Keyboard to the iMac? That interference can come from a lot of things--an iPhone or other mobile phone, a wireless home phone, just about any wireless devices (speakers, security systems, etc). I've even seen interference from printers. Try moving some things around to see if the interference goes away.

As for the "untitled" names, the "48" means that there are 47 other documents called "untitled xx" on the drive, so Pages is suggesting saving this one as the next in sequence. You can avoid that by naming the document as soon as you open it, like I do. Or when it suggests "Untitled 48" just overwrite that and give it the name you want. And I would suggest you search for the 47 other "untitled" documents and delete them, unless you really want them.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Danny

my normal word-processing programme

What is your normal word-processing app? Makes difference in respect of how you Save it.

For example, if it was Pages, you could hold down the Option Key and then Click File and "Save As" becomes available instead of just "Save".

If it's Word or similar, the procedure is different.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, it's Pages, according to the title of the thread.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Apologies, Danny and Jake.

Paid too much attention to the detail and not enough about the heading:Oops::blushing

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
I normally have my keyboard and mouse on a cutting mat in front of the computer - since I moved the mouse off of the mat the vibrations must have stopped and no more problem with data input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.