Backing up a Time Capsule

Reaction score
I recently set up a Time Capsule in order to use it as a 'data store' to be used between two Macs - having previously experienced a number of permissions issues when using file-sharing between them.

I still have another Time Capsule which was backing up the Macs, but this leaves me with the issue of backing up the new 'data store' Time Capsule. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.
Gavin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello Gavin...welcome.:)

Let's call the:

- New data store Time Capsule "Time Capsule A".
- Older Time Capsule used to back up your Mac's "Time Capsule B".

Are you asking if the new data store "Time Capsule A" can be backed up to the older "Time Capsule B" wirelessly? If so...my thought is no...since there's no way for Time Capsule A to connect to Time Capsule B's WiFi network. What I think is possible...is to connect the newer data store "Time Capsule A" to one of your Mac's via a cable.

Then the data store Time Capsule A is sort of temporarily acting as an external HD for this Mac...and when this Mac connects to the WiFi network of Time Capsule B...data store Time Capsule A can be backed up to it. Once the backup of data store Time Capsule A has completed...then you can disconnect it from the Mac...and continue using data store Time Capsule A as you did before.

Maybe there's another way...but this method is what popped into my head first.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks Nick!
Firstly I have to apologise as IT isn't typically my domain, and Macs even less so - though you may have already gathered that! :)

I'd not considered the impact of wired / wireless connections, but it's the intention that they'll both be connected by LAN cables (via a network switch). I try, where possible, to avoid relying upon wireless connections, but I would be happy to give it a go either way.

You've got the idea of what I'm trying to achieve, but to give a bit of background, it's in a small office with two people sharing the same files on a constant basis. I like the perpetual backup that Time Capsule gives you as I know I couldn't trust them as far as I can throw them to manually back the information up. It probably rules out the above suggestion.
Could it possibly work by permanently having Time Capsule A (the data storage) connected (via a cable) to one of the Macs as an external HD. That could presumably always allow them to access the data they need and for it to also be part of the hourly backups?

Gavin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Gavin, if I understand correctly, you have a data Time Capsule, let's call it "A," and a backup TC let's call "B." You want to share the files on A but have them backed up to B. Both are on the LAN.

What I would do is to use something like Carbon Copy Cloner, or SuperDuper, or Chronosync to clone parts of A onto a folder in B as the backup. You don't want to overwrite what is on B, but any of those three products can do a scheduled copy from a location on A to a location on B without touching the rest of B.

However, you should be aware that if you are backing up your computers to B and now also backup A to B that if B fails, you lose all backups at once. If you can, perhaps a third drive can be gotten and used as a backup target in addition to B? You don't need another TC, there are plenty of less expensive network drives out there than the TC that work well. Just about any might do.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jake.

I'll take a look into the software you've mentioned above.

Gavin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd not considered the impact of wired / wireless connections, but it's the intention that they'll both be connected by LAN cables (via a network switch). I try, where possible, to avoid relying upon wireless connections, but I would be happy to give it a go either way.

One of the most beneficial features of the Apple Time Capsule is wireless backups/wireless communication between your computers and the Time Capsule. Apple Time Capsules are not cheap (as I'm sure you must know). If these Time Capsules are connected to a LAN via cable...and the wireless abilities of the Time Capsules are not being used...then a large amount of the investment in these Time Capsules is not being taken advantage of.

With the proper software & much less expensive external hard drives...you could have achieved what you want easily with much less cost.:) Of course I realize the investment in the Time Capsules has already been made.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey again Gavin. Was thinking about a solution for your situation...and what I'm thinking may be very similar to what member 'MacInWin" suggested above.

If both of your Time Capsules are setup to work with your LAN...then both of these Time Capsules are basically just like external hard drives. When you have two or more drives like this (whether they are internal or external drives)...you can either "drag & drop" or copy files/folders from one drive to another with your computers input device...or use a backup app that can be setup to automatically do backups with timimg as you desire.

For this to work...these two Time Capsules would need to be up & running at the time of these schedules backups. Of course maybe you have then running 24-7...which works great as well.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
One of the most beneficial features of the Apple Time Capsule is wireless backups/wireless communication between your computers and the Time Capsule. Apple Time Capsules are not cheap (as I'm sure you must know). If these Time Capsules are connected to a LAN via cable...and the wireless abilities of the Time Capsules are not being used...then a large amount of the investment in these Time Capsules is not being taken advantage of.

With the proper software & much less expensive external hard drives...you could have achieved what you want easily with much less cost.:) Of course I realize the investment in the Time Capsules has already been made.

- Nick

Thanks Nick,

You're absolutely correct, I previously had the first Time Capsule backing up wirelessly, however we had some terrible issues as a whole with the wireless network (resolved by adding a new wireless access point - as opposed to our router) so I'd subsequently hard-wired all off the main devices. You're also correct in that we already owned the Time Capsules so it was a no-brainer anyway.

I appreciate all of the help on this matter (and you Jake) - it looks like I have actually resolved the permissions issues, but if something fails, I'll certainly be giving the above suggestions a go!

Gavin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.