Best HD for my Optical Bay?

Reaction score
I'm finally replacing the 750 GB HD in my 2012 MBP 15" to a 500 gb Crucial SSD. I'm going to transfer the original HD to my optical bay as well. (the adapter for that is coming same day as the SSD). Once I get the original HD into the optical bay will all of my apps and everything still be on the computer after I set up the SSD as the boot drive? If not what will I need to do? I also plan on replacing the original 750 HD to a 1TB HD because I want the extra space. Whats your recommendation for a quiet and fast HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Once I get the original HD into the optical bay will all of my apps and everything still be on the computer after I set up the SSD as the boot drive?

Everything should be there and remain as it was. It should also be bootable just as it used to be.

BTW: you might want to consider that that HDD is about seven years old, not exactly a new drive.

As for replacing it, I'm prone to using the WD Black drives. Fast and quiet and cool and a longer warranty than most, or used to be at least.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Thought 2012 models did not have an optical drive bay, rather the Apple USB SuperDrive which was an option ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Thought 2012 models did not have an optical drive bay, rather the Apple USB SuperDrive which was an option ?
That is only the Retina models that did not have an optical drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

That's what I was thinking too Harry when I was recently helping out with another question regarding 2012 MacBook Pro's (I figured 2011 MacBook Pro's were the last models with optical drives). :)

Turns out in June, 2012 (mid-2012) Apple released BOTH...a set of 13" & 15" non-retina MacBook Pro's (that were similar ion design to previous MacBook Pro's having an optical drive)...AND a pair of 15" retina MacBook Pro's with no optical drive.

Then in October, 2012...Apple released some retina 13" MacBook Pro's (with no optical drive).

Definitely a confusing or "year of big changes" for MacBook Pro's. Lol

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.