Bluetooth compatibility

Reaction score
Hi there, just got a 2011 iMac which has Bluetooth 2.1.
I want to get a Bluetooth headset but the new ones use 4.0.
Will a 4.0 headset work on my iMAC?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, usually new headsets are backward compatible with Bluetooth 2+ devices but it could vary depending on the devices. The problem is usually the other way around.
That is if you had an old headset that was Bluetooth 2 and a new Mac with Bluetooth 4 that could be a problem.
Usually the manufacturers are the best ones to ask that question.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi there, just got a 2011 iMac which has Bluetooth 2.1.
I want to get a Bluetooth headset but the new ones use 4.0.
Will a 4.0 headset work on my iMAC?

You need to check the instructions for the headset to see if it is backward compatible with the older BT specifications. Some headsets which specify BT 4 will only pair and connect to a device which has BT 4. Make sure anything you buy can be returned for a full refund.

And.. Welcome to our forums!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, usually new headsets are backward compatible with Bluetooth 2+ devices but it could vary depending on the devices. The problem is usually the other way around.
That is if you had an old headset that was Bluetooth 2 and a new Mac with Bluetooth 4 that could be a problem.
Usually the manufacturers are the best ones to ask that question.

Most hardware/software is designed to be backward compatible, and that goes both ways. That is, if the headset is using newer technology but the Mac is old, it will work, vice versa with the Mac being new and the headset being old will also work.

Only in VERY rare occasions (based on level of effort or adoption) would the introduction of a new technology break backward compatibility. Bluetooth has been generally accepted as a short-range peer-to-peer wireless technology from its introduction, so you will have to maintain backward compatibility for a long while.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.