Mac Mail Auto delete "Trash on my Mac" emails

Reaction score
In Mac Mail preferences let me set a days old to delete trash from IMAP mailboxes. However, this does not work for deleted emails in "Trash on my Mac" mail box.

How do I set a auto delete option to remove emails from the Trash on My Mac Mailbox.

Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and welcome.

I think this is what you're after.

Open Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Select your Account on the left > Mailbox Behaviours > Trash Mailbox > then Click on the arrowheads. This what you will see:

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 7.54.32 pm?.png

Then choose "On My Mac" . Then underneath that is "Erase Deleted Messages". Click on the arrowheads and make your choice.

That should work. Please post back.

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
I don't have that window.

Here is what my accounts window looks like.

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 8.56.49 AM.png

I am using Mail 9.3

Thanks for responding.

Ideas?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well, maybe the difference is that the latest Mail I have is version 11.5 and things may have changed.

The screenshots I posted come up the same for all my accounts. I just chose one as an example.

What macOS are you running?

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
El Capitan, will not update again with Apple.

Compatibility issues with some of my peripherals and loss of USB fax.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
El Capitan, will not update again with Apple.

Therein, may lie your problem; only saying maybe.

Your Mail app is way behind the current version, but there's a part of me that says that if you Click on Advanced on your Screenshot image you posted, maybe that will take you to something comparable to what I posted in the way of Trash options. Because there has always been a way of auto-deleting Trash "On My Mac".

I can't test it as El Capitan is three versions behind the current (even I am one version behind:Blushing:)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.