Unwanted song metadata showing in Music app

Reaction score
Ok, this is a mystery to me. A few weeks ago I started to comb through my music library to finally get it organized just the way I want it. I'm very minimalist. All I want in terms of metadata are song, album, artist, track x of x, and the album artwork. That's it. No genres, no album year, etc. Well, for some reason, even though I've hidden all iTunes purchases (because I always convert them to mp3 and strip all the metadata except what I want using a third-party external tag editor), the Music app is showing the album year for quite a few albums, even though that has been removed from the songs' metadata and does not show up in iTunes. So where the heck is the Music app pulling the year from? I can't figure out why it's showing for some albums but not for others, even though I purchased the album originally from the iTunes store in either case. To reiterate: the files I'm syncing to my phone are mp3 conversions without the year metadata, not the original downloaded m4a files.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I wonder if it is pulling the data from the Apple Music service info somhow.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I wonder if it is pulling the data from the Apple Music service info somhow.

It just seems strange that it would pull it for only certain albums, and also just the year and not the genre...and that it's not showing up in iTunes (which I don't want it to, of course, so that's good). I even signed out of iTunes/App store on my iPhone and it doesn't fix the problem. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal, but it's still very annoying because I like everything to be consistent. Also, I notice some Artist names appear to be a red hyperlink (which I don't want either), but tapping on them doesn't do anything (the color goes from red to washed-out red but that's it). Strange...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.