Graphical glitches on 10-bit display.

Reaction score
Hello all.
Today I am seeing some very odd graphical glitches with a new monitor I have purchased with my current setup.

I am on 2009 MacPro with 10.13.6 (17G5019), 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-core Xeon, 32GB RAM with the latest Nvidia web drivers (387.10.10.10.40.118) on a GeForce GTX 980Ti.

I have just upgraded to my first 10-bit monitor (I work in video so it should be a nice upgrade) a BenQ SW2700, but I'm seeing these colour block glitches in finder. Changing the colour display profile in system settings doesn't make a difference. I have a second monitor (which I have had for ages) and that continues to display selected items in the finder with no problem (as did my previous main Dell monitor, before it failed the other day forcing me to buy a new one).

I also have an old backup partition with Sierra on it (10.12.5) which is not showing these glitches on the same display.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Please forgive the pictures of the screen taken with a phone as screengrabs via MacOS didn't save the glitch in the jpg.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
My first suspect is the nVidia driver - but, do you have the same version installed on Sierra?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Given that the screenshot didn't have the glitches, it would seem to me to be in the monitor itself. Can't explain why it would work in one version of the OS and not another, but if it were a systemic issue, the screenshot should have caught it. Could the cable be dodgy?

OP
C
Reaction score
.....Could the cable be dodgy?
Currently using a new DP to DP certified cable I bought with the monitor. But I’ll try a hdmi and dvi connection for further troubleshooting. I’m out now but will report back later today.

OP
C
Reaction score
My first suspect is the nVidia driver - but, do you have the same version installed on Sierra?

It must be a driver issue somewhere along the lines and a compatibility issue with the monitor. Definitely different driver as the Sierra backup partition. It just a case of tracking down where the issue lies.

OP
C
Reaction score
....Could the cable be dodgy?

Possibly yes. I've just swapped out to a HDMI cable and the colour glitches are gone, so possibly a dodgy cable or an issue with the DisplayPort support or drivers? I need to run the main monitor on DP as I have 2 other monitors running on HDMI and DVI (the only combination I can run to allow me 3 monitors based on the limitations ands ports they all have).

So I need to track down and try another full DP to DP lead. But software and drivers haven't been ruled out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.