Mid 2010 IMAC Locked up when upgrading

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think you can click on the  in the upper left corner and there may be a Check for Updates there. It's been a while since I ran SL, so the memory cells have been trashed and then erased for that data.

Pretty sure you are right Jake. I think it says Software update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
J
Reaction score
Alrighty, well this update is being typed from the IMAC in question, so i guess thats a success in itself. now to the update. i have upgraded to 10.6.8, i am currently installing 10.11.6 (according to The app store, I can go from 10.6.8 to 10.11.6) and then from there we will see. In your guys opinion, when updating OSX, is ti better to just down load and install or create a bootable USB? Im not worried about creating a Time machine because i have nothing to loose. just curious. well even with 150 Mbs service it still says 21 minutes and counting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I don't know if he can then jump from 10.6.8 to High Sierra directly. I thought I read somewhere you had to land on Lion on the way up.

I'm sure, if the Mac supports macOS High Sierra, you need to upgrade to El Capitan first. So you have to first upgrade to El Capitan, then upgrade to High Sierra.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would make a bootable installer. That way if you have problems, you won't have to go back to Snow Leopard again, but can boot from the installer, format the drive and try again directly.

- - - Updated - - -

Patrick, I think you are correct. I seem to remember having to do that just a couple of weeks ago when I did an internet restore to SL on a 2011 MBP. Had to stop at El Cap to get to HS.

OP
J
Reaction score
here is what was removed

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Alright ill shall search on how to create a bootable installer. (cant get to lazy just asking all my questions here lol)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here is what was removed
... ...
Alright ill shall search on how to create a bootable installer. (cant get to lazy just asking all my questions here lol)

Drill out the hole a bit larger and insert a split keyring or chain and give it to some grandchild. Most of them love electronic stuff and then they can have their own spare memory. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Drill out the hole a bit larger and insert a split keyring or chain and give it to some grandchild. Most of them love electronic stuff and then they can have their own spare memory. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

I did that very thing with a full sized Dimm from a PC. I had it on my keyring and got a lot of people asking about it! :D Grin

Hynix is usually pretty good RAM but all RAM can fail no matter the brand sometimes. Glad that got it booting for you.

OP
J
Reaction score
well guys, sorry its been a few. I came down with some kind of bug. anywho, the system is up and running HS. I will list the order i went in case someone else reads and wants to know. SL > El Cap > Sierra > High Sierra. after some further research i realized that HS can not write over anything older than Sierra. Anywho, all systems are operating fully and so far i have no issues. thanks again guys for all your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.