Office 2016 with Mac Mojave Problems

Reaction score
I recently went to Mac OS X Mohave since an app needed it. I am on version 10.14.3 now. I have been getting constant warnings that various apps are not 64 bit. Got one for my old Office 2011 apps. Went out and bought it on eBay. Originally was version 15. Updated to Office 16.16.7.

Neither Word nor Excel will function properly when trying to use the menu tab File -> Open. This brings up "On my Mac" option which I select since I have no desire to use the cloud. But when I try to click on one of my tags in the left on the directory window, the directory name flashes by in the right window but will not stay there so I can double click to open the directory as was possible in 2011.

If the tab directory just happens to be in the right window pull down list at the top of the right portion, I can click on it there. But I have no idea how directories get there and they do not seem to stay there either so it's a crap shoot.

Any advice on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated. I use these apps extensively and I can't believe that 2016 doesn't support this very basic Open functionality

Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you uninstall Office for Mac 2011?
Did you try right clicking (on the file you want to open), and selecting the newer version of the software?

I don't use M$ anymore, but Office 2016 is still compatible with Mojave. Maybe confirm that there are no more updates available for download?

OP
J
Reaction score
I initially installed 2016 without uninstalling 2011 - seller had no instructions to do so. After having strange problems related to key chain, I contacted seller and was told to uninstall both 2011 and 2016 and re-install 2016 which I did. I then found while researching the problem I describe above that my version was 15 and that there is a 16. I updated 2016 and have the latest update that seems available, 16.16.7.

I do not understand what you mean by "right clicking". On what? The tag? Does not work. On desired file? Does not show.

Here are some images of the left side and the right side of the File -> Open I tried - I blacked out some entries that are private in images. In 2011, I could click on an entry in the 1st image under Tags, have the directory show in the right, double click it and have access to all files in that directory without going through the huge multi-directory for the whole area for this user.

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 12.28.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 12.31.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I do not understand what you mean by "right clicking". On what? The tag? Does not work. On desired file? Does not show.
For example, if you had a Word document named "Genealogy" and you wanted to open it. You could right click (or command click), and select Open With.

Here's my example, for opening my Comics list,
Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 2.09.55 PM.png

and here's the right click options
Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 2.10.24 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to make Office 2016 the default for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. It appears that Office 2011 is still the default which is why you're receiving the "32 Bit" warning. Office (any version) is not easy to uninstall as there are files spread out throughout your Mac's hard drive. You need to follow Microsoft's specific instructions in order to uninstall any version of Office. You can not merely drag the files to the trash as that does not work.

Follow these instructions from Microsoft to completely uninstall Office 2011: Uninstall Office 2011

Uninstalling 2011 will not interfere or disturb Office 2016.

OP
J
Reaction score
Bob, I apologize, but I am not following your open navigation in your attached image.

Here is the Open navigation that I am having the problem with - which after clicking "Open" and selecting "On my Mac" shows the pages in previous posts:

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 1.35.41 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
CHScag, thank you for that MS link to uninstall 2011. I did the automatic process. No fix. I did the manual process no fix. I did NOT empty my trash since I have never done that.

One warning on these processes is that the instructions sometimes tell you to not delete something after you may have done it. For example, some files looked like the name they tell you to delete and the date is not recent but they have "V2" in the name. After you go ahead and delete they then tell you not to. No problem if you bring it back out of Trash.

I finally went to the Apple icon and did "About this Mac" where I clicked on System Report and then "applications". YIKES!!! I have all kinds of old Office apps with suspicious ones starting with "Clone". I have an old version of Parallels virtual XP machine that went obsolete when I updated to Mojave. They must be related to the Parallels app. I can't even get into it any more unless I buy an upgrade that I did not want to do. I inserted a screenshot of these apps below. Can I just somehow remove these entries except for the recent Office apps?

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 2.32.18 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, you have quite a mess there. :sd In order to remove the entries you need to track them down and delete them from your hard drive. The "clone" entries look like something that your old version of Parallels has stored in a virtual machine. You need to completely remove that Parallels virtual machine to get rid of all those entries. If you're no longer using Windows XP Pro for anything, delete the Parallels virtual machine and all those entries will go away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Going back to the tags. I don't use them, but I just did an experiment with Word 16.22 (the latest version of Office365). I tagged a bunch of files (about 100) and then opened Word, clicked on the tag on the left and a few seconds later the tagged files showed in the right pane of the window. I have an SSD but it still took 3-4 seconds for the tagged files to appear, the delay on a spinner drive would be much longer, particularly if you have a LOT of tagged files. Could it be you didn't wait long enough for the tagged files to appear?

Or, are you tagging folders instead of files? I can experiment with that, too, if that is what you are doing. Not sure how tagging a folder helps, as you could just name the folder whatever the tag name would be, but I suppose anything is possible.

One other suggestion is that the Finder sidebar can have just about anything in it, so you could just drag the folders you use most often to the Favorites section and drop them there and they will show in that Sidebar in Word as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, another experiment. I untagged the files then tagged a folder. In Word, when I select the tag, nothing appeared in the right side.

Then I went back to Finder and tagged the folder and half the files in it. Went back to Word and clicked on the Tag again and this time all the tagged files appeared, but again, not the folder itself.

So the logic seems to be, if a folder is tagged, Word won't find it. If the contents of a folder are tagged, even if the folder is also tagged, show the files, not the folder. That is logical in that Word doesn't open folders, but files.

Does that makes sense and does it help at all?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I recently went to Mac OS X Mohave since an app needed it. I am on version 10.14.3 now. I have been getting constant warnings that various apps are not 64 bit. Got one for my old Office 2011 apps. Went out and bought it on eBay. Originally was version 15. Updated to Office 16.16.7.

Neither Word nor Excel will function properly when trying to use the menu tab File -> Open. This brings up "On my Mac" option which I select since I have no desire to use the cloud. But when I try to click on one of my tags in the left on the directory window, the directory name flashes by in the right window but will not stay there so I can double click to open the directory as was possible in 2011.

If the tab directory just happens to be in the right window pull down list at the top of the right portion, I can click on it there. But I have no idea how directories get there and they do not seem to stay there either so it's a crap shoot.

Any advice on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated. I use these apps extensively and I can't believe that 2016 doesn't support this very basic Open functionality

Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance.

I recently installed Office For Mac OS 2016 on my wifes 2018 MBPr and the installer informed me that the 2011 version (which still worked) would be uninstalled as part of the installation which it did. I did remove the old Dock shortcut icons (which were not rmoved) and replaced then with the icons for the 2016 version other than that nothing more was necessary.
As for the warnings you mention this is entirely normal. It is in preparation for the next macOSX which will no longer run 32bit apps. It is assumed that all developers will release 64bit versions of their apps (many have already) before then but worth bearing in mind before we all upgrade next time.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sorry judger, did I understand you correctly when you said, "I did NOT empty my trash since I have never done that". ????? Emphasis on the word "Never"

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for tags, well, I'm also running Mojave 10.14.3 and tags on folders work for me but I'm wondering if tags created in your previous operating system may not work on Mojave. Are thesee new tags or ones you already had? Also are you logged into iCloud with the same preferences as before? See Apple Menu > System Preferences > iCloud Drive > Documents tab?
Heres a pic of my Finder window with one tagged Folder.

2019-02-17 12:10:01.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry judger, did I understand you correctly when you said, "I did NOT empty my trash since I have never done that". ????? Emphasis on the word "Never"

Yup! Correct! My Trash is pretty large. I must be some kind of hoarder. :-(((

OP
J
Reaction score
Going back to the tags. I don't use them, but I just did an experiment with Word 16.22 (the latest version of Office365). I tagged a bunch of files (about 100) and then opened Word, clicked on the tag on the left and a few seconds later the tagged files showed in the right pane of the window. I have an SSD but it still took 3-4 seconds for the tagged files to appear, the delay on a spinner drive would be much longer, particularly if you have a LOT of tagged files. Could it be you didn't wait long enough for the tagged files to appear?

Or, are you tagging folders instead of files? I can experiment with that, too, if that is what you are doing. Not sure how tagging a folder helps, as you could just name the folder whatever the tag name would be, but I suppose anything is possible.

One other suggestion is that the Finder sidebar can have just about anything in it, so you could just drag the folders you use most often to the Favorites section and drop them there and they will show in that Sidebar in Word as well.

THIS IS IT!!!!!!

I deleted the old tags thinking that I might add them back to test your old OS tag problem suggestion.Then I recalled that Office 2016 seemed to find folders in the Favorites section of the Finder Sidebar.

So I started dragging in the folders that I want quick access to. I feared that this might relocate my folders to another part of my Mac disk . It did NOT! That's wonderful since I back up a large part of my user data on a regular basis to a removable storage device to counteract any attempts by hackers to ransom them.

Now I almost have back the kind of folder access that I used to have in 2011. Except:

- I inadvertently created a OneDrive -Personal cloud disk when prompted, not realizing that I would always have to choose between the cloud and my local Mac disk when opening a new file to work on. I do NOT intend on working on cloud documents. Can I stop Word and Excel from asking me which area I want every time I want to open a file? Delete the could disk? Change some Office preference? Or???

PS: I found that you can go to either Word or Excel tab in menu, select Sign Out and then the cloud drive is not accessed. Unfortunately, one still has to select On my Mac to get to one's Finder Sidebar.

THANK YOU, ALL, for your advice and help!!!

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you describe is exactly how my storage system works except that I DO want OneDrive. I use MS's One Drive cloud storage as a sort of archive and the @live.com email address as a secondary address for online transactions.
I cannot think of a way to remove One Drive cloud storage once you have subscribed. Where you put files and how is kinda individual. How I do it may not work for you.

Sent from my iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup! Correct! My Trash is pretty large. I must be some kind of hoarder. :-(((
OK, I just HAVE to comment on this. Not emptying the trash is not a good idea for a couple of reasons:

1. The space is not automatically released to the Operating system for files in the trash. So, you don't recover the space the files in the trash are consuming.
2. Eventually, if the OS needs space, it will go ahead and dump something from the trash to make space. In this case, you are letting the OS pick what to delete.

I do sort of understand the idea that something in the trash MIGHT be needed later, but if you use timed backups, either through Time Machine or some other backup software, then after each backup you can dump the trash and be relatively safe. The Trash is NOT backed up, but your timed backup should have the deleted file from BEFORE it was deleted, so basically if you move something to trash, it was in the previous backup as long as it existed then. If it was newly created and then trashed immediately, it won't be in the backup, but something that short-lived probably isn't really of any value.

At least that's my opinion. It's much better than letting the drive get congested and then have the OS pick what to throw away without consulting me.

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, I just HAVE to comment on this. Not emptying the trash is not a good idea for a couple of reasons:

1. The space is not automatically released to the Operating system for files in the trash. So, you don't recover the space the files in the trash are consuming.
2. Eventually, if the OS needs space, it will go ahead and dump something from the trash to make space. In this case, you are letting the OS pick what to delete.

I do sort of understand the idea that something in the trash MIGHT be needed later, but if you use timed backups, either through Time Machine or some other backup software, then after each backup you can dump the trash and be relatively safe. The Trash is NOT backed up, but your timed backup should have the deleted file from BEFORE it was deleted, so basically if you move something to trash, it was in the previous backup as long as it existed then. If it was newly created and then trashed immediately, it won't be in the backup, but something that short-lived probably isn't really of any value.

At least that's my opinion. It's much better than letting the drive get congested and then have the OS pick what to throw away without consulting me.

Just an insecure hoarder., I guess I do do the back backups but have never relied on them or recovered anything from them. My Bad???? :-(((

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.