Office 2016 with Mac Mojave Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Well, if you are leaving files in the trash just in case you need them later, you are basically saying that the OS can delete whatever it wants to, whenever it needs to, without notifying you of it. So when you look in the trash for that file, it may well not be there. At least in a Time Machine or similar backup mechanism, you can look back to before you deleted it and recover it. But if it's only in the trash and the OS decided it needed that space....

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just curious but what is the size of your Trash?
I'm not sure what backup method you use eg. Time Machine but I would be tempted to go about the issue (and it is an issue) this way.
Create a new folder.
Call it eg. Stuff from trash.
Select All in trash and drag the lot to your new folder.
When everything is moved perform a Time Machine backup.
Then view the contents of the folder by date (just click on the date column in Column View not icons) this will arrange all the contents into acending or decending order. Choose anything more than a year old and delete it.
If you should discover you needed one of those things they can be restored from Time Machine.

Sent from my iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Don't forget, macOS has the "Remove items from the Trash after 30 days" option.

OP
J
Reaction score
Just curious but what is the size of your Trash?
I'm not sure what backup method you use eg. Time Machine but I would be tempted to go about the issue (and it is an issue) this way.
Create a new folder.
Call it eg. Stuff from trash.
Select All in trash and drag the lot to your new folder.
When everything is moved perform a Time Machine backup.
Then view the contents of the folder by date (just click on the date column in Column View not icons) this will arrange all the contents into ascending or descending order. Choose anything more than a year old and delete it.
If you should discover you needed one of those things they can be restored from Time Machine.

Sent from my iPhone

Not sure. I get an answer from 25-77.5 GB on a 512GB SSD depending on how I ask.

I do run Time Machine but I have never restored from it. The external drive I use is getting old. I am considering adding a new Samsung SSD for TM. Not cheap, but very, very fast.

I told my vendor to replace my HD with a Samsung SSD when I bought it. WOW! FAST!!! I do not think that I would ever again buy a HD for OS and everything else. I do not use lots of GB's. However, the TM disk is an old external disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And Office was updated today down under. Current version is 16.22.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Really your backup for TM doesn't really need to be that fast, just reliable. If you wanted to have a bootable clone on the other hand (which we highly advise) an external SSD may be worth the investment because not only can it be used to restore files but it can actually run your device or act as a replacement for your internal drive. I'm using a 1Tb Transcend HDD for a clone and although it can boot my MBP it is a bit slower due to the USB connection.

Sent from my iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you are going to restore from Time Machine, there are different ways to do that. One is to reinstall the OS, then during setup use Migration Assistant. The other is right from the Recovery partition, and it will reinstall the os as well.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Or you can recover any file or files from the Time Machine interface that comes up when you enter Time Machine itself. It works like Finder. Locate the file you want to recover, select it and click "Restore" and that file will be brought back to where it was on that backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.