Texting

Reaction score
I am new to texting. I can successfully reach another Apple user, but have trouble contacting users with other brands of phone. Do I need to do something differently?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Messages sent to other Apple users will use Apple's proprietary system (and show in blue) within the Messages app. Messages sent to Android or other phones will go out as traditional SMS (and show in green). This is automatic and you don't have to do anything. If you add the recipients phone number as iPhone, then Messages will use and try it's own method before falling back to SMS. If you enter the phone as purely phone, then it tries to guess.

Reaction score
Here are my settings under Settings > Messages. I have no issues sending or receiving texts to/from non-iPhone users. See if yours are the same.

• iMessage: on
  • Show Contact Photos: on
  • Text Message Forwarding: all my other Apple devices are enabled to send/receive text messages
  • Send Read Receipts: off
  • Send as SMS: off
  • Send & Receive: my phone number and email are both selected under "You Can Receive iMessages to and Reply From" and my phone number is selected under "Start New Conversations From"
  • MMS Messaging: on
  • Group Messaging: on
  • Show Subject Field: on
  • Character Count: off
  • Blocked: (contains list of all blocked phone numbers)
  • Keep Messages: Forever
  • Filter Unknown Senders: off

Obviously, some of those settings shouldn't affect your ability to send/receive (e.g. Show Subject Field), but others might.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jonathan,

Great post. The only thing I’m puzzled about is that you have SMS as off. I thought the purpose of turning it on was to allow messages to be sent if the recipient didn’t have an iPhone or if an iPhone user couldn’t receive it for some reason or another.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood your post.

Ian

Reaction score
Jonathan,

Great post. The only thing I’m puzzled about is that you have SMS as off. I thought the purpose of turning it on was to allow messages to be sent if the recipient didn’t have an iPhone or if an iPhone user couldn’t receive it for some reason or another.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood your post.

Ian

I'm not quite sure either, lol! But it's definitely off and I have no problem sending or receiving texts from any number.

46191950475_b5e124a561_z.jpg

So the OP may want to try mirroring my settings, and if that doesn't work, then try enabling SMS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
What versions of iOS are we all using?

I'm on 12.1.4 (16D57)

And my Settings > Messages, does not look like usagora's.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As to Jonathan's setting of SMS off, I believe it doesn't matter since iMessage will try first to send as MMS and then default to SMS. I'll try a bit later when I have some time, experiment with the setting both ways (on and off).

Reaction score
What versions of iOS are we all using?

I'm on 12.1.4 (16D57)

And my Settings > Messages, does not look like usagora's.

Same iOS version and build here 12.1.4 (16D57). Does it change based on one's carrier or iPhone model? I'm with AT&T using an iPhone X (model MQAM2LL/A).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Does it change based on one's carrier or iPhone model? I'm with AT&T using an iPhone X (model MQAM2LL/A).
Good question, I'm using an iPhone 8+ with T-Mobile, so I guess it could be either one. My guess, would be model, not carrier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.