Apple ID Change

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
My Apple ID used to be my email address. Some years ago I changed ISP and so had to obtain a different email address. Therefore I had to change my Apple ID.

I managed to do this without losing access to the things on my Apple account.

However, I am now trying to restore a backup from an old iPod Touch to my new iPod Touch. It seems some of the purchases on the old iPod are from before I changed the email address, so I am being prompted for the password for the old Apple ID. I can't remember that. The actual Apple account is the same - just the email address used to login to it has changed. Is there any way to restore that backup please? The Apple ID on the old iPod was changed before I made the backup so I would have thought it would have stored that change. The backup is visible on the account which now uses the new email.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You do not have to change your Apple ID because your email address changes. I know it's too late for you, but all you need to do is associate the new email address with your Apple ID. An Apple ID is not an email address even though many folks including myself use the same one.

As to the problem of the forgotten password, unless you can somehow reset it for your old Apple ID that old iPod Touch backup will be lost. You might want to give Apple customer support a call to see if there is anything they can do to recover that backup.

Even though the Apple ID on the old iPod was changed before you made the backup, the iPod Touch itself was likely still listed as a device assigned to that old Apple ID. Which is why it's asking for the old password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
However, I am now trying to restore a backup from an old iPod Touch to my new iPod Touch.

I wonder if iMazing.app would be able to get all your needed data transferred,

It can probably open your old backup, especially if it was created using iTunes.

https://imazing.com/

Anyway, it should be free to try.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It can probably open your old backup, especially if it was created using iTunes.
I wonder if the password (forgotten) would matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
An Apple ID is not an email address even though many folks including myself use the same one.

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure that when I first came over from the dark side that I had to give my email to use as my Apple ID. It caused no end of confusion when Apple kept asking me for my email password. However, I do now want to change it as it's a Hotmail address and following far too many problems with Hotmail (and MS support) I want all reference to Hotmail removed from my system and that includes changing my AppleID. I'm reluctant to make this move at the moment due in part for the reasons the OP has given, however, are you saying that if/when I do change my AppleID it can be to something other than an email address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have and use 2 separate Apple ID's. My older one, is also my Hotmail address, and my newer one is an iCloud address.

What you will have to remember, is the Apple ID ([email protected]) will remain, only the way Apple communicates with you, will go to the new email address associated with your current hotmail Apple ID.

I use Family Sharing, to share music, apps, and books, throughout our family members.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if the password (forgotten) would matter?

That I'm not sure of, but still worth a try I'd say.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when I do change my AppleID it can be to something other than an email address?

AFAIK, your AppleID can be anything you want, as long as it's unique, and I believe Apple just suggested using one's email address when signing up.

Apple does NOT use it for contacting you but does use the address provided in the AppleID account page listed under the REACHABLE AT column.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
AFAIK, your AppleID can be anything you want, as long as it's unique, and I believe Apple just suggested using one's email address when signing up.

Apple does NOT use it for contacting you but does use the address provided in the AppleID account page listed under the REACHABLE AT column.

- Patrick
======

Patrick is spot on. My experience when I first created an Apple ID is the same as member "Sawday". At the time Apple began requiring an ID, many of us were using the old Apple contact email addresses that preceded the now icloud.com address.

However, now as Patrick stated above, any unique name can be an Apple ID. What is important is the email address you can be contacted at. Also and likewise important especially for those of us who are using 2FA, are the devices and/or phone numbers we can be contacted at in order to verify changes to our Apple ID personal info or changes to our devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.